Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Axeslammer
Fey
Cesc Soler
EM Seleção e Selecção
The Easter Bunny
Fade out
Puro
Rosicky.
Di Caniooooo!
TheCrazy58
Chocolate Thunder
COTR
Chris 23*
EMP
Deluded F*ck™
Tom
Luis
110%
Sheffield gunner
BoBo Vieri 32
Glenarch of the Glen
Allez les rouges
Tweesus
christmasborocooper
stinger
Super Progress
Isco Benny
Six
Aristoskank
fcb
debaser
Kimbo
Brian2468
Kroos
Romford Pele
Black Magic
Pierre Littbarski
Khadrim
L r dd
43 posters

England squad

L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

England squad - Page 10 Empty Re: England squad

Post by L r dd Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Prolly Heskey in place of Agbonlahor and that's the 5. Reading some newspapers today was bizarre. You'd think Baines played like Carlos and Carrick didn't do anything. I wont be surprised to see Carrick replace Lampard in the starting eleven from now on.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:55 pm

bizaare.

In the paper I read they were criticisng Baines for not doing enough and said that he wouldn't get called up scratch
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Tweesus wrote:You#ve got to have someone with pace though. Defoe or Agbonlahor HAVe to go. What if Rooney were to get injured or suspended? I suppose you could play one of the remaining 3 in a 4-5-1 but its not ideal.

I'd be tempted to risk not taking a midfielder or defender and going with 5 forwards.

I don't think I would describe Defoe as being pacey. Compared to Beckham maybe but he'd be eating dust in a race with Walcott, Agbonlahor, Wright-Phillips, Lennon, Young, Owen and Bent.

Thankyou for your time.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Tweesus wrote:bizaare.

In the paper I read they were criticisng Baines for not doing enough and said that he wouldn't get called up scratch

Well i didn't read EVERY newspaper mate.

AT least he hasn't got a pretty popstar girlfriend - or even a relatively attractive ex-partner.

Oh, and he can play a bit, too.

The criteria for election to England's left-back spot is becoming an issue of beauty over beast.

That is the case as far as the WAGs are concerned anyway.

And if you are a left-back then it seems that Fabio Capello will now check on your missus before you're picked.

Leighton Baines has never traded on his personal life. In fact, his full debut for England last night was earned by that old-fashioned method - outstanding form.

In a game where it was planned he would play 45 minutes before handing over to Stephen Warnock, he was so good he stayed on the pitch.

For Capello, the Everton starlet's performance was as much a relief as a vindication of his choice.

Calm - well, he was after a shaky first touch - Baines was so good he finished the match at Wembley without a blemish.

In fairness, any trouble which Egypt caused England tended to be far from his patch but the scrutiny was intense nonetheless.

His only mistake came early on when he was forced to deal with a ball into his channel. Instead of mopping up, he scuffed at the loose ball with his knee and conceded a corner, which also revealed his nerves.

There were a few anxious sighs around Wembley. After all, this was a crowd which had come to jump on any weakness from a defender.

Baines, however, showed experience beyond his 25 years to cope with the occasion as well as the expectation.

Not as showy as Ashley Cole going forward but he was effective at the back which will please an Italian coach like Capello.

Cole, watching from his rehabilitation clinic in France, would not have felt any more pain than he is already in. He remains - broken ankle and marriage besides - the most complete left-back in England.

In fact, the only reason to consider replacing the Chelsea man for this summer's World Cup finals would be his fitness.

Still, with the John Terry/Wayne Bridge situation unresolved on a personal level, the gap to be reserve left-back is very much open.

Baines did himself a world of good to be that man, judging by last night's performance.

His form at Everton justified his selection and he did not let himself or his club down.

When he was last man at the back post, he coolly headed away under pressure from Emad Ebdelmaby.

Other than that, he patrolled his area with real confidence.

When half-time came and went without a change in favour of Warnock, Baines knew he had won over Capello and you could see it in his play.

Similarly, as the Three Lions coach made his allotted six subs, No 3 never came up on the board.

For the moment at least, Baines' debut has also seen him elevated to the automatic pick.

Cole, of course, is still expected to recover from his injury and his personal trauma to take his place in the team in South Africa.

But that should not overshadow the emergence of a new talent in the position and one which could be very valuable in the future.

On this display and this form, there's no reason to believe that the young Toffee does not have a big future with England.

Just don't go getting yourself a popstar girlfriend, son.
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Yeh, I read that as well. Said that he was scared to go forward, "cattle to a cattle grid", and didn't want to risk anything.

Understandable really, it is your England debut, you don't want to completely fuck things up.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Ballack wrote:

Yeh, I read that as well. Said that he was scared to go forward, "cattle to a cattle grid", and didn't want to risk anything.

Understandable really, it is your England debut, you don't want to completely fuck things up.

Didn't offer enough for me. You've got to impose yourself or at least try and make some impression going forward but he took no risk whatsoever and that made out left side non existant with Gerrard deciding he wasnt going to play there.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Ballack wrote:

He couldn't go forward, there was no one playing infront of him, if he bombed forward it would leave HUGE space and Capello would have fits. All he could do was play a supporting role.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

He hit a couple of good corners though and was 'solid'.

Put yourself in his shoes, you're hardly going to bomb forward in the hope of impressing to leave yourself helplessly upfield when Egypt counter...

Capello is first and foremost a defensively minded coach and he'd have had an eppy if Baines had done that.

@ glenn

shut up.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Well i remember Shorey against Brazil and he did the exact same thing IE not much kept his position, stuck to the line, put a few ok balls in. People were saying he did really well his performance is promising but really he was shite. And i don't see what Baines did different to be honest bar a little more able on the ball and dribbling away from trouble with some neat turns. If he's got more about him he better show it next time Ale
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:12 pm

It's a shame Gareth Bale is Welsh and not English.

That is all Ale
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Rio England Braptain wrote:It's a shame Gareth Bale is Welsh and not English.

That is all Ale

Yes, because having two full backs that don't know how to defend is just what we need when up against the world elite ok
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Tweesus wrote:

That is all Ale

Yes, because having two full backs that don't know how to defend is just what we need when up against the world elite ok

You're so sassy Tweedle.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:47 pm

L r dd wrote:Well i remember Shorey against Brazil and he did the exact same thing IE not much kept his position, stuck to the line, put a few ok balls in. People were saying he did really well his performance is promising but really he was shite. And i don't see what Baines did different to be honest bar a little more able on the ball and dribbling away from trouble with some neat turns. If he's got more about him he better show it next time Ale

Baines would rely on a organized left midfielder to create space or cover if he bombed forward. Barry could not cover he was over run.
    Even Evra cannot do that for Man U if the oppositions midfield are organized. Egypt out classed us in the middle first half considering what he had in front and Upton beside him Baines played it clever.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Tweesus wrote:

That is all Ale

You're so sassy Tweedle.

Laugh

You do have a point Tweedles, but then Bale is only 20 and I will bet my house on the fact that he'll become a far better full back than Baines Ale
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Has Puro commented on his great anti England hope Algeria being handed a great big can whoop ass at home to one of the European also rans who cruelly steal a World Cup place from Peru ?
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:47 pm

COTR #6 wrote:Has Puro commented on his great anti England hope Algeria being handed a great big can whoop ass at home to one of the European also rans who cruelly steal a World Cup place from Peru ?

Don't be silly.

Apparently Egypt are now shite, thus rendering the African Cup of Nations a meaningless tournament.

And don't be fooled by Rooney's fabulous season, he's really nothing special. There are players in the Peruvian league who would clearly score over 30 goals in the EPL and top score in European World Cup qualifying, but corrupt fuckos have them chained to a toilet in a dark cellar somewhere to be sold as collateral in shady deals with the Roschild's. FFS
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 pm

COTR #6 wrote:Has Puro commented on his great anti England hope Algeria being handed a great big can whoop ass at home to one of the European also rans who cruelly steal a World Cup place from Peru ?

I know COTR! I hear you. Talk to them Africans bitching about more WC spots and they can't even handle an Euro who are undeservedly taking up a South American spot.

Did you catch how Uruguay DESTROYED Switzerland, in Europe no less? The same Uruguay that lost to Perú "B" side? No? I didn't think so either. Keep living in your bubble, Euros. Biggrin <Ale>
    COTR
    COTR

Number of posts : 26580
    Supports : Liverp8-0l
    Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Uruguay qualified for the WC Puro, unlike the mighty Venezuela who appear to have been thrashed by the footballing powerhouse that is Panama (just behind Uganda and Uzbekistan in the world rankings) at home. The very same Venezuela finished miles ahead of Peru 'A' in WC qualfiying.

Google comes in very handy at times like these Puro Biggrin <Ale>
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Rio England Braptain wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Tweesus wrote:

That is all Ale

You're so sassy Tweedle.

Laugh

You do have a point Tweedles, but then Bale is only 20 and I will bet my house on the fact that he'll become a far better full back than Baines Ale

He possibly will, but this conversation is about three months time.

Anyone else seen that Hargreaves is back in training?

Fingers crossed.
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Cant see it happening to be honest.
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm

borocooper wrote:Cant see it happening to be honest.

Lets hope your wrong, if fit we are looking good in the center even with lamps and gerrard not being in top form.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Plus Hargreaves can play rightback if needs be.

Still, if he's not up to the mental challenge of the Premiership, I can't see him being ready for the World Cup in three months.
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Difficult wrote:Plus Hargreaves can play rightback if needs be.

Still, if he's not up to the mental challenge of the Premiership, I can't see him being ready for the World Cup in three months.

He is not that great at right back Brown would do a better job imo. in a 4-5-1 Hargreaves would cover Brown well playing right DM though
    christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Wes Brown is an abysmal footballer when he puts on an England shirt. Fuck that orange c**t.
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:47 pm

borocooper wrote:Wes Brown is an abysmal footballer when he puts on an England shirt. Fuck that orange c**t.
    England squad - Page 10 Heinz_Baked_Bean_In_Tomato_Sauce_415g
    Tom
    Tom

Number of posts : 12185
    Supports : Chelsea

Post by Tom Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Hargreaves has been training with the first team for the past week cheers and is meant to have his second reserve team game this week! Fergie expects him to be back in the first team in 2 weeks. This is brilliant news cheers
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Hart and James both had their poor moments today...I'd still go for James.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:21 am

Luis wrote:Hart and James both had their poor moments today...I'd still go for James.

Its the first bad game Hart has had all season.

Well done luis ok
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:13 pm

This is the first time in years England have a top class striker in Rooney. This really changes things with Rooney adding his head as a goal scoring lethal weapon getting service into the box looks all important. Maybe Becks has a chance.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Brian2468 wrote:This is the first time in years England have a top class striker in Rooney. This really changes things with Rooney adding his head as a goal scoring lethal weapon getting service into the box looks all important. Maybe Becks has a chance.

Now all we need is some wingers that provide really good service. Rolling Eyes The only ones i would trust to consistently deliver a good ball are Joe Cole and Young, and they may not even make the plane.

IT'S HOPELESS BRIAN!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:12 am