Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+56
Matt_AFC
Rosicky
Stiftung Haeschentest
Cheb Hamouda
Sgoater1
Chocolate Thunder
Ä
Fey
Indie
Hlebagone
Isco Benny
EMP
Super Progress
Ricardo Jol
Tom
COTR
TheCrazy58
forza_rossi
Di Caniooooo!
Sheffield gunner
rosenthal
shazlx
Lordanger
SuperMario
Rasiak-9-
UK_Andy
Cesc Soler
BoBo Vieri 32
stinger
S4P
Allez les rouges
Luis
Romford Pele
Bashmachkin
110%
Puro
Rasiak-9
bluenine
Axeslammer
fcb
Tweesus
Deluded F*ck™
Glenarch of the Glen
christmasborocooper
Pierre Littbarski
Khadrim
Brian2468
Murray
Aristoskank
Six
Kroos
Jaime
Kimbo
L r dd
Chris 23*
debaser
60 posters

The Next England Squad

fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

The Next England Squad - Page 2 Empty Re: The Next England Squad

Post by fcb Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:56 am

Has Hart's club future been resolved yet? Would be silly to have a first choice England keeper who's 2nd choice behind Shay Given at his club.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 am

I think Given is injured and won't be fit to start the season so Hart has a chance to claim the spot as his own..
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:00 pm

kas wrote:Has Hart's club future been resolved yet? Would be silly to have a first choice England keeper who's 2nd choice behind Shay Given at his club.

Given is apparently out injured until early winter time, so Hart is being retained until then. If Hart performs as well as he did last season then Mancini couldn't possibly drop him and we'll have an England keeper for a CL quality team for the next ten or so years.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the pressure of knowing that his performances over the next few months could cement him a place for a top class team.

I think Hart's better than Given. Hughes signed Given so I don't think Mancini will feel a moral obligation to play Given ahead of Hart if Hart is performing well. Playing for a team with the aspirations of Citeh will be a different type of pressure though to what Hart is used to and it'll be interesting to see how he handles it Ale
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 pm

It's what we need though. Need England players to be at clubs in/around CL...

Which is one reason why it's great Spurs qualified this year ahead of Liverpool.

Assuming they get past the qualifier, we got likes of Lennon, Dawson, THudd, Defoe all playing CL for the first time.

Villa, Spurs, Everton, City have probably the most 20-25 yr old England hopefuls and any of them playing CL will be good experience.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm

ok

I seem to remember that we were all a bit bemused by the signing of Given in the first place because Hart was playing well for Citeh at the time. He was good then, but he's massively stepped his game up in the past year or so - he seems to have a lot more confidence and prescence now than he did at the start of the 08/09 season
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:15 pm

He was always confident. Came in at Shrewsbury as a 16/17 yr old but was not afraid to shout at seasoned 30-something lower league defenders Very Happy

One of the reasons people always thought he'd go far..
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Big 4 Billy Bollocks™ wrote:------------------------Hart

G.Johnson---Dawson-----Lescott--------Cashley

-------------Huddlestone---Milner

A.Johnson----------Rooney (c) --------Ashley Young

--------------------Carlton Cole

Yay? Nay?

What do all of you have against Agbonlahor ?

He'd already be a sure starter beside(s) Rooney in my book...
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Tweedle goes so overboard about Hart Laughing
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Agbonlahor should be getting chances in the squad for sure. He played well with Rooney in the few chances he's got. He could be something of a compromise between a Heskey-type and a Defoe/Bent-type. More goals than the former, more of a physical threat than the latter.

Of course Pierre will point out he's not much of a footballer, but anyone who's not Chevanton or Shevchenko is a failure in his eyes Smile
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

The problem with Agbonlahor is that he's very inconsistent.

He'll go on brilliant runs of form and then by completely anonymous for the next ten games.

His pace IS scary though and he'll put in a good shift.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Kimbo wrote:Tweedle goes so overboard about Hart Laughing

Getting defensive about Given are we?

I just see him as potentially being a top class keeper that's all. Its been a while since we had one! So yes, I'm a little excited.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

I don't care about Given, he's a keeper that relies alot on reactions, so as he's in his mid 30s i expect him to be slowing down. You talk about Hart as if he is Gordon Banks though.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Tweesus wrote:The problem with Agbonlahor is that he's very inconsistent.

He'll go on brilliant runs of form and then by completely anonymous for the next ten games.

His pace IS scary though and he'll put in a good shift.

Yep. I certainly wouldn't advocate him as a starter yet, but a place in the squad and some chances off the bench would be good.

I reckon we need to make him a little less assured of his place at Villa too. I think part of the form dips are because he knows he'll start whatever happens. Hopefully Fonz/a new signing can put a bit more pressure on his place and force him to up his game consistently this season.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Kimbo wrote:I don't care about Given, he's a keeper that relies alot on reactions, so as he's in his mid 30s i expect him to be slowing down. You talk about Hart as if he is Gordon Banks though.

Hardly, saying 'he without doubt should be England's first choice' and 'he should be first choice for a team pushing for CL football' isn't exactly comparing him to England best ever keeper is it scratch

the only comparison I have made in fact is with Seaman - which isn't exactly a glittering comparison seems as he probably wouldn't make a top 5 england keepers list.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:50 pm

So he's better than Seaman and Given. I suppose next week he will be better than Schmeichel aswell.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:56 pm

No. He's better than Given in my mind, yes. Currently. I think that Given's passed his peak though.

I never said that he was even as good as Seaman. I said he could be as good as Seaman.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

Post by Aristoskank Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Tweesus wrote:I never said that he was even as good as Seaman. I said he could be as good as Seaman.

I remember now, people were making up fake headlines, 'Tweeds excited by new Seaman' and the like. To take the piss. Out of you being a faggot.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Kimbo wrote:So he's better than Seaman and Given. I suppose next week he will be better than Schmeichel aswell.

Whoa, quite a leap there from Seaman/Given to Schmeichel, don't ya think? Razz

Anyways, I am with Tweedy on this... Hart does look promising. Sometimes it does make sense to give a shot to a promising keeper, like Italy did with Buffon many years ago. Perhaps a role as the England No 2 to start with, with an year of gradual easing into the No 1 role, as long as he moves from strength to strength?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

bluenine wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:So he's better than Seaman and Given. I suppose next week he will be better than Schmeichel aswell.

Anyways, I am with Tweedy on this... Hart does look promising. Sometimes it does make sense to give a shot to a promising keeper, like Italy did with Buffon many years ago. Perhaps a role as the England No 2 to start with, with an year of gradual easing into the No 1 role, as long as he moves from strength to strength?

Well those are my top 3 premiership keepers.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Bluey, who would you have in the intevening period though? James is going to be 40 soon and he really isn't that good.

And Green, Foster and Robinson just aren't very good - not good enough to be an international anyhow.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm

bluenine wrote:

What's "gradual easing" with a goalkeeper anyway? It's not like you can bring him on as a sub for the last 20 mins. You either play him or you don't.

As of the 41st minute of the England-USA match, Hart is already England no. 2. So I don't see why there should be any hesitation about playing him straightaway. If he fails like Carson or Robinson, then let him go away and try to recover his career. If not, then let him keep playing. There's no point protecting a young keeper if you don't have any better alternatives.
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Number of posts : 2605
    Supports : Southampton
    Registration date : 2007-01-17

Post by Rasiak-9 Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

What does everyone else think about Lee Cattermole? Only 22 and a dedicated DMF which is what England certainly need to think about developing for 2018.

If we go with a Brazil formation with two quite straightforward destroyers in the middle of the park then I think Huddlestone and Cattermole may well be the way forward - at least give them a go in the friendlies where it won't matter.
    Axeslammer
    Axeslammer

Number of posts : 19690
    Supports : Leeds Utd / FC Groningen
    Favourite Player : Le Tiss, Bergkamp, Tadic, Eric le Roy
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Axeslammer Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Rasiak-9 wrote:What does everyone else think about Lee Cattermole? Only 22 and a dedicated DMF which is what England certainly need to think about developing for 2018.

Saw him play for young England in Groningen half a year ago or so....I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, didn't look like anything special to me...
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Rasiak-9 wrote:What does everyone else think about Lee Cattermole? Only 22 and a dedicated DMF which is what England certainly need to think about developing for 2018.

If we go with a Brazil formation with two quite straightforward destroyers in the middle of the park then I think Huddlestone and Cattermole may well be the way forward - at least give them a go in the friendlies where it won't matter.

I think he's a violent piece of shit.
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Clone Scholes and wait 20 years IMO.
    fcb
    fcb

Post by fcb Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:20 pm

By 2018 the concept of a DM may well be outdated.

There's no point trying to groom players for specific positions or to fit certain moulds, that's a concept doomed for failure. What you need to do is build the basic skills in young players - passing, ball control, movement, etc. Those will be universal regardless of what position someone plays.

Then depending on other attributes, physical abilities, and ability to understand tactics/positioning in different parts of the pitch, you can have a young player find his best position.
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Post by Rasiak-9 Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Axeslammer wrote:

Saw him play for young England in Groningen half a year ago or so....I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, didn't look like anything special to me...

Hrm. Well lets see what he can do. I mean don't forget he's 22 which is like being 18/19 for a defensive midfielder so theres a long way for him to improve.

Secondly, he's the kind of youngster we need, someone who'll not just go in as a passenger but actually take it upon themselves to have a real impact on the team.

If he's cack and it all goes pear-shaped? Never mind; its only a friendly.

I could of course be completely wrong! But I'd definately like to see Huddlestone and Cattermole given a chance in CM/DM in a 4-2-3-1
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:21 pm

kas wrote:By 2018 the concept of a DM may well be outdated.

There's no point trying to groom players for specific positions or to fit certain moulds, that's a concept doomed for failure. What you need to do is build the basic skills in young players - passing, ball control, movement, etc. Those will be universal regardless of what position someone plays.

Then depending on other attributes, physical abilities, and ability to understand tactics/positioning in different parts of the pitch, you can have a young player find his best position.

Try telling that to every coach in the UK. lol!
    Rasiak-9
    Rasiak-9

Post by Rasiak-9 Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:22 pm

kas wrote:By 2018 the concept of a DM may well be outdated.

I do agree with your idea that improving the England team may require improvement on fundamental skills and tactical awareness more than anything, but I'd be very suprised if the idea of a DM is outdated in 8 years. I mean, a tough-tackling midfielder has pretty much always transcended football.
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Good luck to the England team in the future. <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:03 am