Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+56
Matt_AFC
Rosicky
Stiftung Haeschentest
Cheb Hamouda
Sgoater1
Chocolate Thunder
Ä
Fey
Indie
Hlebagone
Isco Benny
EMP
Super Progress
Ricardo Jol
Tom
COTR
TheCrazy58
forza_rossi
Di Caniooooo!
Sheffield gunner
rosenthal
shazlx
Lordanger
SuperMario
Rasiak-9-
UK_Andy
Cesc Soler
BoBo Vieri 32
stinger
S4P
Allez les rouges
Luis
Romford Pele
Bashmachkin
110%
Puro
Rasiak-9
bluenine
Axeslammer
fcb
Tweesus
Deluded F*ck™
Glenarch of the Glen
christmasborocooper
Pierre Littbarski
Khadrim
Brian2468
Murray
Aristoskank
Six
Kroos
Jaime
Kimbo
L r dd
Chris 23*
debaser
60 posters

The Next England Squad

Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

The Next England Squad - Page 3 Empty Re: The Next England Squad

Post by Aristoskank Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Gerrard rumours now being dismissed completely. Apparently his c**t of a wife doesn't have a sister.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02072010/58/world-cup-2010-gerrard-victim-hoax.html
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:33 pm

No shit.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Rasiak-9 wrote:
    kas wrote:By 2018 the concept of a DM may well be outdated.

There's no point trying to groom players for specific positions or to fit certain moulds, that's a concept doomed for failure. What you need to do is build the basic skills in young players - passing, ball control, movement, etc. Those will be universal regardless of what position someone plays.

Then depending on other attributes, physical abilities, and ability to understand tactics/positioning in different parts of the pitch, you can have a young player find his best position.

I do agree with your idea that improving the England team may require improvement on fundamental skills and tactical awareness more than anything, but I'd be very suprised if the idea of a DM is outdated in 8 years. I mean, a tough-tackling midfielder has pretty much always transcended football.

What I meant is, 10 years ago nobody saw a DM as a vital element of a team, but after Makelele left Real Madrid and they collapsed, everybody wants one.

Similarly, the current fashion is for a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 kind of formation. In a couple of seasons, that may change. For example, if a 4-4-2 comes back as the dominant formation, suddenly you'll have a midfielder who can sit back and defend and one who can support the forwards with sexy passes, but will worry "we just don't have anyone who can go box to box".
    bluenine
    bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
    Supports : www.footballspeak.com
    Favourite Player : Zanetti
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:47 pm

kas wrote:
    Rasiak-9 wrote:
    kas wrote:By 2018 the concept of a DM may well be outdated.

There's no point trying to groom players for specific positions or to fit certain moulds, that's a concept doomed for failure. What you need to do is build the basic skills in young players - passing, ball control, movement, etc. Those will be universal regardless of what position someone plays.

Then depending on other attributes, physical abilities, and ability to understand tactics/positioning in different parts of the pitch, you can have a young player find his best position.

I do agree with your idea that improving the England team may require improvement on fundamental skills and tactical awareness more than anything, but I'd be very suprised if the idea of a DM is outdated in 8 years. I mean, a tough-tackling midfielder has pretty much always transcended football.

What I meant is, 10 years ago nobody saw a DM as a vital element of a team, but after Makelele left Real Madrid and they collapsed, everybody wants one.

Similarly, the current fashion is for a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 kind of formation. In a couple of seasons, that may change. For example, if a 4-4-2 comes back as the dominant formation, suddenly you'll have a midfielder who can sit back and defend and one who can support the forwards with sexy passes, but will worry "we just don't have anyone who can go box to box".

While the popularity of a defensive midfielder may have increased over the last 10 years, they have been a critical component of teams for ages... Makalele may have been a wake up call in La Liga, but in Serie A they have been quite fashionable before that... players like Dunga and Davids were considered key players for their teams.

The key roles/responsibilities of the DM may change over time, maybe even the "name" might change, but there will always be defensive midfielders in football. Just like there will always be "Strikers" or "Central Defenders"....
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:57 pm

kas wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:So he's better than Seaman and Given. I suppose next week he will be better than Schmeichel aswell.

Whoa, quite a leap there from Seaman/Given to Schmeichel, don't ya think? Razz

Anyways, I am with Tweedy on this... Hart does look promising. Sometimes it does make sense to give a shot to a promising keeper, like Italy did with Buffon many years ago. Perhaps a role as the England No 2 to start with, with an year of gradual easing into the No 1 role, as long as he moves from strength to strength?

What's "gradual easing" with a goalkeeper anyway? It's not like you can bring him on as a sub for the last 20 mins. You either play him or you don't.

As of the 41st minute of the England-USA match, Hart is already England no. 2. So I don't see why there should be any hesitation about playing him straightaway. If he fails like Carson or Robinson, then let him go away and try to recover his career. If not, then let him keep playing. There's no point protecting a young keeper if you don't have any better alternatives.

It usually means keeping the keeper as No 2, so that he learns from the No 1 and the experience, and gets playing time in friendlies (and cup games in case of club football). Its an important part of growing up for keepers, specially young ones, so that they do not get burned too quickly or scared by a crucial mistake. Too much responsibility too early can be disasterous for a keeper. There are some who manage (eg Buffon, Cassillas), but also some talented gks who get burned and take years to recover (Frey is a good example, Inter gave him too much responsibility too early).

With young keepers, its not just a case of "you either play him or you don't"...
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 pm

bluenine wrote:
    kas wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:So he's better than Seaman and Given. I suppose next week he will be better than Schmeichel aswell.

Anyways, I am with Tweedy on this... Hart does look promising. Sometimes it does make sense to give a shot to a promising keeper, like Italy did with Buffon many years ago. Perhaps a role as the England No 2 to start with, with an year of gradual easing into the No 1 role, as long as he moves from strength to strength?

What's "gradual easing" with a goalkeeper anyway? It's not like you can bring him on as a sub for the last 20 mins. You either play him or you don't.

As of the 41st minute of the England-USA match, Hart is already England no. 2. So I don't see why there should be any hesitation about playing him straightaway. If he fails like Carson or Robinson, then let him go away and try to recover his career. If not, then let him keep playing. There's no point protecting a young keeper if you don't have any better alternatives.

It usually means remaining No 2, learning from the No 1, and getting playing time in friendlies (and cup games in case of club football). Its an important part of growing up for keepers, specially young ones, so that they do not get burned too quickly or scared by a crucial mistake. Too much responsibility too early can be disasterous for a keeper. There are some who manage (eg Buffon, Cassillas), but also some talented gks who get burned and take years to recover (Frey is a good example, Inter gave him too much responsibility too early).

With young keepers, Kas, its not just a case of "you either play him or you don't".

I agree with your last line 100%...was going to mention it in my post but it was getting too long. I'd never play a young keeper in my team as long as I can avoid it. But that's exactly the problem for England now - they don't really have a decent alternative, so they may as well let Hart play. The tricky part of course is for the coach to support him when he makes his inevitable mistakes, as all young keepers do.

I don't agree about the "staying number 2, learning, and getting playing time in friendlies" though. That works at club level, not int'l level, where the games are so few. With a team having just 3 or 4 friendlies, the coach needs to use those to make his keeper and defense ready for competitive games, not fanny about giving someone experience when the defenders in front of him probably want to play with someone else.
    bluenine
    bluenine

Post by bluenine Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:12 pm

kas wrote:
    bluenine wrote:
    kas wrote:
    bluenine wrote:

It usually means remaining No 2, learning from the No 1, and getting playing time in friendlies (and cup games in case of club football). Its an important part of growing up for keepers, specially young ones, so that they do not get burned too quickly or scared by a crucial mistake. Too much responsibility too early can be disasterous for a keeper. There are some who manage (eg Buffon, Cassillas), but also some talented gks who get burned and take years to recover (Frey is a good example, Inter gave him too much responsibility too early).

With young keepers, Kas, its not just a case of "you either play him or you don't".

I agree with your last line 100%...was going to mention it in my post but it was getting too long. I'd never play a young keeper in my team as long as I can avoid it. But that's exactly the problem for England now - they don't really have a decent alternative, so they may as well let Hart play. The tricky part of course is for the coach to support him when he makes his inevitable mistakes, as all young keepers do.

I don't agree about the "staying number 2, learning, and getting playing time in friendlies" though. That works at club level, not int'l level, where the games are so few. With a team having just 3 or 4 friendlies, the coach needs to use those to make his keeper and defense ready for competitive games, not fanny about giving someone experience when the defenders in front of him probably want to play with someone else.
    Yeah, but as long as Hart is No 1 at club level, a bench role for another year will help him grow in the intl level. Coz if you push him in the deep end too quickly, there is a chance that he makes a crucial error in a key game (is it too soon to start calling that "doing a Green"? Razz ) and his confidence takes a beating... that might push his development back by 2-3 years, goal keeping is such a confidence driven thing... instead, I would keep him as the No 2 for a year, playing him in the friendlies, and allowing him to grow in confidence/experience...

Of course, if James is retiring, England may not have much of a choice.... Risking Hart might be better than giving Robinson another shot...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Hart's only a year younger than Neuer I think. He's not that young.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 pm

FA has confirmed Capello is staying.

Erm
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Why the frown debbie?

Who the hell would we replace him with? 'Arry? Laugh

Its a good decision IMO. Its not his fault that Rooney was absolute tripe and that Terry had a shocker.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Tweesus wrote:Why the frown debbie?

Its a good decision IMO. Its not his fault that Rooney was absolute tripe and that Terry had a shocker.

He's frowning because Capello doesn't change, he knows the formation he likes and he knows the players he likes. This thread is utterly pointless if Capello stays.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Tweesus wrote:Why the frown debbie?

Well, it's just his decisions upto now don't exactly convince you that anything will change post-tournament.

Maybe this tournament will have been a wake-up call to him and he will clear out the poisonous elements and rethink his strategy.

But I just wonder if he's a little old to change his ways. Experience & tactical inflexibility forever cheers

---

Oh, and while individual player performances can't be attributed to him, the failure of the tactics and the failure of the substitutions to fix the tactics can.

I said the other day, read J-Lo's post-match comments. He had a game-plan to exploit England's weaknesses, went for it and it was made easy because Capello didn't respond to it with any plan of his own. You can forgive not starting correctly if you correct the mistake later, but he just stuck with it throughout and 2 goals became 4.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:00 pm

We know he won't change tactics, i'm sure he said in a press conference after the Germany game that 442 is "his" formation.
    Pierre Littbarski
    Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Pierre Littbarski Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:00 pm

We need CB's that can play BTW - so when Tomkins is fit I'd have him in.

Its just as important for a CB to have a drop of the shoulder or a little shimmy that can buy him a second as it is for him to have passing ability re possession football because it opens up space for a simple pass.

Tomkins is the one English CB who really has that.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:57 am

Same old stuff all over be interesting how they candy coat the England side going forward.

110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:12 am

Swegen wrote:Gerrard rumours now being dismissed completely. Apparently his c**t of a wife doesn't have a sister.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02072010/58/world-cup-2010-gerrard-victim-hoax.html

lol!

so was there even a falling out with Terry?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Emile Glenskey wrote:The England team will probably be the same in 2 years

Ferdiand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney probably Glen Johnson and 4 others.

I think we've decided collectively as a nation that Joe Hart and Adam Johnson are/will be World Class

so that leaves 2 places up for grabs. Milner and Heskey.

Players I'd like to see groomed include

Gibbs
    Richards
    Dawson
    Lescott
    Rodwell
    Huddlestone

all this talk of Green, Parker, Warnock, Carrick etc makes me nauseous.

We should keep an eye on some of the teenage imports that top clubs have brought in at 14/15 and maybe one of them can be our Ozil.

I forgot to mention Michael Johnson aka The World's Fastest Man. I hope he gets a nice top 8 move this summer and establishes himself as a Premiership regular.
    Bashmachkin
    Bashmachkin

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2007-02-09

Post by Bashmachkin Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 pm

-------------------Hart------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    G.Johnson--Jagielka--Lescott--A.Cole
    ---------Huddlestone-------------------
    ----------------------N'Zogbia----------
    ----------------Lampard----------------
    J.Cole-----------------------A.Johnson
    -----------------Rooney----------------

Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Bashmachkin wrote:-------------------Hart------------------
    G.Johnson--Jagielka--Lescott--A.Cole
    ---------Huddlestone-------------------
    ----------------------Milner----------
    ----------------Lampard----------------
    A.Johnson-----------------------A.young
    -----------------Rooney----------------

cheers
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Seeing as Capello is staying Milner would probably be a better option, N'Zogbia is a bit too skillful and creative for his liking.

Other than Lampard that is a nice team though Bash. <Ale>
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Still get raped through the middle.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:10 am

You're right, and nobody gets past Milner, we saw that in the Mexico game.
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:46 am

Kimbo wrote:You're right, and nobody gets past Milner, we saw that in the Mexico game.
    yer right it takes more than one player to clogg up the middle.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Suspect Suspect cheers

Go back to bed..... Sleep Sleep Sleep
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:48 am

Capello's gonna drop everyone:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/16415/

I'll believe it when I see it.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:56 am

Let's hope there's some truth there.

--

Here's Brooking talking some sense. But I'm pretty sure he's been saying the same things for years, without anything much changing:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6243994,00.html
    Six
    Six

Number of posts : 4390
    Supports : Liverpool
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by Six Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:35 am

debaser wrote:Let's hope there's some truth there.

--

Here's Brooking talking some sense. But I'm pretty sure he's been saying the same things for years, without anything much changing:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6243994,00.html

Exactly. If Brooking isn't in the position to do something then who is?
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:45 am

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6244171,00.html

Moderately sensible stuff from Messiah number 2.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Squad for the U19 European Championship. Are our saviours amongst them:

Declan Rudd (Norwich City), James Severn (Derby County); Nathan Baker (Aston Villa), Stephen Caulker (Tottenham), Matthew Briggs (Fulham), Reece Brown (Manchester United), Nathaniel Clyne (Crystal Palace), Thomas Cruise (Arsenal), Josh Thompson (Celtic); John Bostock, Dean Parrett, Andros Townsend (all Tottenham), Matthew James (Manchester United), Jacob Mellis (Chelsea), Matthew Phillips (Wycombe); Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Ryan Donaldson (Newcastle United), Frank Nouble (West Ham).

The Fonz Ale
    Tom Cruise Erm
    Townsend Yikes
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Damn damn damn!!! Heskey has retired. I wonder if Capello will rethink staying on after this bombshell.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Sensible move. His time was up. Might be a sensible move if a couple others followed suit. Jump before you're pushed and all that..

Emile Ale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:55 am