Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Romford Pele
Bashmachkin
Super Progress
Jaime
Calidad
Rosicky
Sheffield gunner
COTR
DD
ads_afc
Green Arrow
TM
Roger Hunt
Funbags
forza_rossi
debaser
None
The-Frank-Tavern
fcb
Fey
Tom
Kimbo
Liverpool 0 - 1 Man U
Oleguerisntthatbad
theflyingfrenchman
Lard
Machiavel
Luso
DS
Deano
Tweesus
Rez
Cesc Soler
robert
poiuy1
Nightwing
Batman
Parks lives
Deluded F*ck™
43 posters

Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again.

Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again. Empty Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again.

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm

Parks lives wrote:Bent was poor tonight. I think rather than sign him, our best bet is he goes to Spurs and we sign the Dracula.

*punch*
    Parks lives

Number of posts : 34521
    Favourite Player : The Ginger One
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again. Empty Re: Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again.

Post by Parks lives Mon May 07, 2007 10:51 pm

*Hides for cover.* :oops
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again. Empty Re: Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again.

Post by Batman Mon May 07, 2007 11:19 pm

Who would you sign?

2nd Class Signings:

Left Winger > Richardson

Central Midfielder > Fletcher

Forward > Smith

1st Class Signings:

Left Winger >= Giggs

Central Midfielder >= Carrick

Forward >= Saha

Every fan would want 1st class signings but if we made 2nd class signings, e.g. get a left winger better than Richardson but not Giggs yet, then it would make a difference to the team.
    Nightwing
    Nightwing

Number of posts : 4563
    Supports : Manchester United FC
    Favourite Player : The Red Wiz (C.Ronaldo)

Post by Nightwing Tue May 08, 2007 7:26 am

Becks salutes Giggs' mission

By ERIC BEAUCHAMP
    May 08, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

DAVID BECKHAM reckons Ryan Giggs is on a mission to become the most decorated player in English football history.
    Giggs is the only player who has won all nine Premiership titles with boss Alex Ferguson since 1993.

That record haul eclipses the eight top-flight titles won by Liverpool legends Alan Hansen and Phil Neal. The United hero is level with Hansen on 16 winner’s medals and victory in the FA Cup final against Chelsea will put him on a par with Neal on 17.

And Becks insists that Giggs’ incredible drive for glory will see him retire at the top the pile.

He said: “When Giggsy wins a medal he just starts thinking about trying to win the next one.

As a United fan I would love him to go above Phil Neal.”

Becks, 32, shared nine honours with Giggs before leaving for Real Madrid in 2003. And he knows exactly where the Welshman got his insatiable hunger.

He said: “That is what is so good about Sir Alex. He makes you move on. As soon as you have won a medal he makes you want more.

“That is what he instilled in me and the rest of the young players.

“You can really see it in Giggsy, he wants to win more and more every time he plays.”

Giggs, 33, has also won four FA Cups, two league cups as well as the Champions League. The Welsh wizard was just 17 when he made his United debut in 1991 and has now played 714 games.

He is on course to become the club’s greatest ever servant as he approaches Bobby Charlton’s club record of 754 appearances.

Becks added: “I hope he does end up as the most decorated player in England. He is not just a great player, he’s a great person.

“People wrote him off a few years back but he proved them wrong.”
    Nightwing
    Nightwing

Post by Nightwing Tue May 08, 2007 7:27 am

Utd ditch bid for ace Hargreaves

By NEIL CUSTIS
    May 08, 2007

MANCHESTER UNITED have scrapped their plan to buy Owen Hargreaves after Bayern Munich sent the price spiralling.
    Alex Ferguson thought he had agreed an £18million deal for the England midfielder.

But Bayern have told the United boss their asking price is now above £20m.

Even though Ferguson will have a £40m summer transfer kitty, he will not be held to ransom by any club. He is ready to turn his attention elsewhere, having already identified other targets.

Ferguson is determined to land Spurs’ Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov, although White Hart Lane boss Martin Jol is desperate to hold on to him.

The United manager said: “We have outlined two or three targets which we have made the chief executive David Gill aware of.

“This club has celebrity status around the world so you do not worry about attracting players.”

But Ferguson admits they will always be second best in the spending stakes because of Roman Abramovich’s millions.

Fergie said: “The real competition comes when someone like Michael Essien becomes available and Chelsea spend £27m on him.

“They can do that and outbid us all.

“We need to identify the players we want and get them quickly and quietly.”

Gill revealed Joel Glazer — son of club owner Michael — was one of the first people on the phone to congratulate the players on their title success.

He said: “Joel rang me last night to express his congratulations to everyone.

“All the doomsayers who said we would be in trouble have been proved wrong.

“The Glazers are delighted, they’re sports fans and they know what running a sports team is all about.”

Fergie’s No 2, Carlos Queiroz, reckons United can now dominate the domestic game for decades — but need to wise up in Europe.

They lost to AC Milan in this season’s Champions League semis.

Queiroz said: “We can recreate the success of United in the last decade when we were dominating the English league.

“But in games like the one against Milan we lacked the experience and maturity to dominate in Europe.”
    Nightwing
    Nightwing

Post by Nightwing Tue May 08, 2007 7:32 am

FERGIE'S EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    UNITED MARCHING ON HOW SELLING RUUD INSPIRED SIR ALEX TO HIS
    GREATEST TRIUMPH .. and now the master must rebuild again to ensure his United dynasty stays on top
    David Mcdonnell 08/05/2007

OF ALL the decisions Sir Alex Ferguson has made as Manchester United boss, selling Ruud van Nistelrooy was the one that ultimately brought the Premiership title back to Old Trafford after an agonising four-year wait.

Flogging off the club's most prolific scorer to Real Madrid last summer may have seemed an unwise move, but Fergie's judgment in offloading van Nistelrooy has been fully vindicated thanks to the completion of his ninth Premiership success.

And now the challenge for Fergie, having steered United back to the summit of the domestic game, is sustaining their position - and ensuring there is no repeat of the four-year hiatus they had to endure since their last Premiership success.

Owen Hargreaves' arrival at Old Trafford is imminent, while Fergie must buy at least one striker to support Rooney.

Expect Louis Saha to be sold, possibly in a player-plus-cash deal for Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov.

Hargreaves will fill the midfield enforcer role still left vacant following the departure of Roy Keane, while Southampton's 18-year-old Gareth Bale is expected to arrive this summer for £7m as United's long-term left-back.

Those expected to be heading out of Old Trafford - along with Saha - include Kieran Richardson, Mikael Silvestre and Gabriel Heinze. Shocked (why????!!!!)

England goalkeeper Ben Foster will return from his loan spell at Watford to challenge Tomasz Kusczak for the right to succeed Edwin van der Sar as United's first-choice between the posts.

But as Fergie basked in the afterglow of his latest title triumph, it was possible to identify the catalyst for it as last summer's sale of van Nistelrooy following five prolific seasons at the club.

Despite van Nistelrooy's fine scoring record, Fergie realised his side needed to change the way they played in order to become champions once again.

Starved of pace with the lumbering presence of van Nistelrooy in attack, a change of dynamics was required.

The Holland striker was also considered a negative influence in the dressing-room, his frequent clashes with Cristiano Ronaldo behind the scenes and on the training field undermining the young Portugal winger's confidence and development as a player.
    Evil or Very Mad
    But with the sale of van Nistelrooy came the return of United's trademark cavalier play, at breathtaking speed, along with the emergence of Ronaldo as the best player in the world and the full liberation of Wayne Rooney's precocious attacking talent.ok

And Fergie's belief that the new-found harmony within his squad was key to their title success contained a loaded reference to the Dutchman's acrimonious exit.

"We've a good bunch of lads here now, good harmony in the dressing room," said Fergie yesterday. "I've been saying that all season and it's true.

We've got a more harmonious bunch here now. There were no worries about that at all. We went on to the football field with a bunch of honest players, and when you can do that it will always give you a chance if it's backed up by ability."

This season's champions represent Fergie's fourth great United side.

And the 65-year-old Scot, who celebrated 20 years in charge at Old Trafford last November, revealed his pride in the manner of his team's latest success. "There were times when we overstretched ourselves attacking-wise and times when we needed more control and discipline in our attacking," he said. "But when we're in full flow we're a potent sight and the goal threat was always there."

United's transformation this season was nothing short of remarkable and owes much to the sustained brilliance of Rooney and Ronaldo, among other key factors.

The return of Paul Scholes after missing five months of last season with a serious eye problem was crucial, as was the acquisition of Michael Carrick, who has ultimately justified his £18.6m transfer fee.

The emergence of Nemanja Vidic as a regular defensive partner for Rio Ferdinand gave United solidity at the back, while the supporting cast of John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher and Wes Brown all played their part in recent weeks when injuries took their toll.

While Fergie admitted to feeling "invigorated" by the brilliance of his dynamic duo of Ronaldo and Rooney this season, the United boss did admit that losing the title for a third successive season left him deflated and tired. Watching Chelsea emulate United as the only team to successfully defend the Premiership title then hurt Fergie so much he could not wait to embark on his summer holiday.

But it also served to heighten his desire and appetite to win back the trophy. "Age creeps up on you quickly," he said. "I still think I'm 58! But all of a sudden you see in the papers that you're 65 and I think to myself 'I can't be that old'.

"You wonder where the years have gone. You wonder how you compare with five or six years ago. I don't notice any dramatic changes in me, although there must be changes. Last season I was tired in the sense that I wanted to go on holiday.

"There were moments last season when we went on a great run and I thought we might catch Chelsea, then we drew 0-0 with Sunderland. That's when I needed a holiday."

Despite his relief and delight at ending Chelsea's new-found domination of the Premiership, this is no time for Fergie to be looking to his holidays.

There is the little matter of an FA Cup Final showdown with Jose Mourinho's side just 11 days away and with it, of course, the prospect of a fourth domestic Double.
    Nightwing
    Nightwing

Post by Nightwing Tue May 08, 2007 7:37 am

Ferguson truly an emperor of the dugout

By Henry Winter
    Last Updated: 2:24am BST 08/05/2007
    Page 1 of 2

Have your say Read comments

In pics: United's journey to glory | In pics: Premiership action
    Henry Winter audio: 'Sir Alex Ferguson's work ethic is unique'
    In pics: Ten key dates in title race | Should Sir Alex Ferguson quit at the top?

Amid all the sounds of champagne corks popping at Old Trafford yesterday, a toast should be made to a certain Frenchman, and we are not talking about Eric Cantona, whose boldness of spirit still beats within Red hearts. Manchester United fans should raise a glass of France's finest to Napoleon Bonaparte, whose leadership principles have stirred Sir Alex Ferguson this season.

A picture worth a thousand words: Sir Alex Ferguson in his pomp
    Napoleon's maxim that "a leader is a dealer in hope'' has echoed within Ferguson, the last emperor of English dug-outs. One of life's natural optimists, and a master at using adversity to forge dressing-room mettle, Ferguson has again been a beacon of belief to his players. All Chelsea's might and money could not live with the sense of mission Ferguson instilled in Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and company.

United's darkest hours have come only on the rare occasions when Ferguson has questioned himself, when briefly announcing his retirement six years ago and after that traumatic loss to Benfica 17 months ago. Usually the driven Scot has been the embodiment of conviction, truly a "dealer in hope.''

Cantona experienced Ferguson's greatest quality when talked out of quitting Old Trafford. Prove the critics wrong. Prove yourself right. Show your class. David Beckham also received a visit from the dealer in hope as he struggled to cope with his post-France 98 vilification. Ferguson made Beckham believe again. Yet another No 7, Ronaldo, was also inspired by Ferguson in the wake of Gelsenkirchen. Rooney, too, was reinvigorated by United's motivating force, such an effective mix of teacup and compassion.

Cleverly, Ferguson applied Napoleon's adage to the Rooney-Ronaldo issue, even calling his coaching staff together pre-season and telling them to use this Press-stoked storm to stiffen their resolve. When it comes to dealing in hope, Ferguson keeps laying down aces.

advertisement

An illuminating insight into Ferguson's leadership can be found through his current involvement with the Collyhurst and Moston Lads Club, an inner-city dealership in hope. This Mancunian institution turns kids into champions, a practice that struck a chord with such a dressing room alchemist as Ferguson. The boxers Robbie Reid and Michael Jennings emerged from Collyhurst and Moston, whose alumni also include Brian Kidd and Nobby Stiles.

Such places remind Ferguson of his callow years in Glasgow, attending the Harmony Row Club with its hungry football teams. When Damien Hughes, son of Collyhurst and Moston's boxing coach Brian, asked Ferguson to support the club, the United manager invited him to Carrington, outlined his views on management, and has now written the foreword to Hughes' book, Liquid Leadership, helping raise club funds.

"When I met him, he kept stressing that all setbacks were temporary, that Chelsea's ascent over the past two years was temporary, that United will come again,'' reflected Hughes yesterday. "He never saw Chelsea's ascent as permanent.

"He discussed the importance of optimism as a manager. He suggested that Napoleon's phrase, 'a leader is a dealer in hope,' resonated with him and stressed that he continually tries to see the best in all circumstances he faces and tries to embed this into his players.

"He explained that despite the pressure and demands, he always seeks to remind his players of the need to have fun and enjoy the experience, a fact he cites for his own lengthy tenure at the club. It was his desire for the players to have fun that surprised me - that seemed at odds with the public image of Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Walking through Carrington with him, he had a quip for the secretaries, and some of the younger kids. He believes real learning happens best when there is a bit of fun - things like games of head tennis and that 'shooting' game.'' Target practice Carrington-style can even involve Paul Scholes trying to hit Ferguson when the manager's back is momentarily turned.

Anyone seeking the essence of United's philosophy under Ferguson could watch highlights from the Old Trafford demolition of Roma, or talk to Reading supporters stunned by United's kick-in activities at the Madejski Stadium before their FA Cup meeting.

As Scholes, Rooney and Ronaldo were on the bench, their warm-up was particularly cavalier, with the ball juggled about as if they were on the beach in Rio not on the road to Wembley. Ferguson encourages his players to express themselves, because he was urged to attack at Harmony Row.

"I believe I had a great upbringing to prepare me for my later years,'' writes Ferguson. "I have many recollections which I fall back on from my childhood, and a lot of them helped to create the foundation of my character and personality as a leader.
    Nightwing
    Nightwing

Manchester United 2006/2007, CHAMPIONS Again. Empty Redbloods is THICKER than water!!!

Post by Nightwing Tue May 08, 2007 7:39 am

Beckham tips Giggs to win record medal haul

By Sid Lowe in Madrid
    Last Updated: 2:23am BST 08/05/2007

With the Premiership title safely tucked away and the FA Cup final still to come, David Beckham has backed former team-mate Ryan Giggs to beat Phil Neal's record as the most decorated player in English football history.

When Manchester United clinched the Premiership, the Welsh winger moved ahead of Neal and Alan Hansen to collect a record ninth league title. He also joined Hansen on 16 domestic titles, one behind Neal. The FA Cup final on Saturday week offers Giggs the opportunity to draw level with Neal, and Beckham believes he has the time and the determination to go one better than the former Liverpool captain.

"When Giggsy wins a medal he starts thinking about trying to win the next one and that is what is so good about him and also the manager at United," Beckham said. "As soon as you've won a medal he doesn't stop there, he makes you want more. That's what he instilled in me and what he put into the rest of the young players. You can really see it in Giggsy: he wants to win more and more every time he plays."

"As a United fan I would love him to go above Phil Neal," Beckham added. "Those milestones are so important as a player. It's an amazing achievement for him to have already come so far but I hope he does end up as the most decorated player to have played in England.

"People were writing him off a few years back but he's come back. He is one of those players who seems to have been around for years even though he is only 33 now."

Despite his difficult departure from Old Trafford, Beckham praised Ferguson's role in United's success. "He knows how good a manager Mourinho is and how good Arsene Wenger and Rafa Benitez are and he respects them - but you are not going to get many bigger or more successful managers than Alex Ferguson."

Nor did Beckham overlook his successor at Old Trafford, Cristiano Ronaldo, for overcoming the criticism of him after England's knock out at the hands of Portugal last summer - an experience similar to the one Beckham had after the 1998 World Cup.

"Ronaldo deserves everything he gets as he has proved a lot of people wrong this season and proved what a great player he is."
    Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil Devil bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Really good interview with Fergie.....

Sir Alex Ferguson marked his ninth Premiership title with an interview yesterday. Daniel Taylor reports

What does all this mean to you?

It's a great achievement. The last two or three years I've been saying to myself: "Crikey me, you need 90 or 91 points to win this league now." That's a hell of a title as opposed to when we first won it in 1993 [with 84 points]. We had one year, 2000, when we won it with 91 but it's a hell of a target. We've got 88 already and it's possible we can get 94.

Did it affect you over the last three years when people have questioned you and whether you could do this?

I'm experienced enough to know that's the way of the game. If you're not doing well at this club you are going to be criticised. We have had to make big decisions and change the squad and that hasn't been easy when you have a familiarity with players, people like Phil Neville and Nicky Butt. It's sad when you have to let them go. I was saying to myself: "Perhaps we could get one more year out of them?" But you have to move the team on. You have to tell yourself you're not making decisions for yourself, you're making them for the club.

Roy [Keane] and Ruud [Van Nistelrooy] must have presented as difficult decisions as any.

Well, Roy was, certainly, because he was such an influence at the club . . . (long pause). I'm not so sure about Van Nistelrooy being a big decision at all.

Is the squad more harmonious now?

You need a good team spirit and from day one we have just gelled. I've kept referring to that all season. The spirit has been brilliant in the dressing room.

Going back to last season, was there ever a point when you thought perhaps this was a challenge for someone else?

No, no. We made our decisions. Then it was just as case of sticking together. We looked at the squad, we knew there was enough youth and certainly enough ability. Obviously there have been key things and Paul Scholes coming back from his eye problem was a big boost for us, for instance, because it was a concern last year. Having him back was like signing a new player - a free transfer of international standard - and he just seemed to gel with Michael Carrick.

Was Van Nistelrooy's departure important to the spirit

I'm not getting into that.

Did you get a feeling at the start of the season that things were going to be different this year?

What we tried to instil in the players' minds was that we had to get a good start. For the previous two years nobody went with Chelsea early on and they had a clear run. We felt we could be there with them but we did better than that. We managed to stay in front of them. Which was not easy because Chelsea were chasing all the time.

You have faced challenges from Blackburn, Newcastle and Arsenal before, but are Chelsea your toughest opponents?

They're the most resilient, there's no question about that. They just never give in.

And where does it rank compared with your other titles

It has to be the club's greatest achievement. This is still a relatively new team and hopefully it's going to get better. It's their first real attempt at the title and that's why we're encouraged for the future. You've seen the difference in Nemanja Vidic, for example. To me he's been the best centre-half in the country. That strength in the central defensive positions is something we have wanted for a long time, going back to when Gary Pallister and Steve Bruce left. We've had some good combinations but not one that will last as long as Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

Was there ever any moment, watching Chelsea win the last two championships, when you thought this was almost an impossible task?

Yes, I did think that. I thought it was a difficult task simply because of the amount of money at Chelsea. But I thought the signings of Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack were designed to win them the European Cup. So I wasn't too concerned. I said to myself: "I hope they concentrate on the European Cup and leave the league to us, that would be very nice." But they have chased all the way. It's a great challenge to us and it will be the same again next season.

How important are Scholes and Ryan Giggs to your plans? Are they still part of the club's future?

Well, when you look at them there are no signs they are over the top. You say to yourself: "How long can they carry on?" But Giggs, at 33, doesn't carry any weight and looks after himself. Paul is a different physical shape to Ryan, stockier, but he looks after himself too and leads a good lifestyle. He is a home-loving boy, a family man, and that will give him a good chance to play until he is at least 34 or 35. They are getting to that age when you have to keep an eye on them and you are aware that at some point they will no longer be able to do it because of age.

To put it another way, do you expect Ryan still to be part of the team next season?

Absolutely. There's no question of that. Nobody else in British football has nine championship medals and it's a fantastic achievement. The other players are giving him a lot of attention today.

Can anyone ever do that again?

Hopefully another Manchester United player . . . but it won't be in my time.

Did you think you needed only minor additions last season, even though you had lost Keane?

For the last few years we have been looking for a new Roy Keane and now we understand it is impossible. You cannot get a new Roy Keane. We were fortunate that we had Keane to replace Bryan Robson with that same drive and mentality. But we did think that, if we got a player with footballing ability, like Carrick, it would enhance our chances. Although he started very quietly he has turned out to be a fantastic force for us, as instrumental as anyone in winning the title.

And what of you? When you set out in management, all those years ago, did you ever think you would still be winning trophies at the age of 65?

I've never looked at it that way. Age creeps up on you very quickly. I still think I am 58. It's true! All of a sudden you see that in the papers you are 65 and I think: "I can't be 65, can I?" Jesus Christ, somebody wrote I was 66 today. I wonder sometimes where the years have gone. Then, how I compare with five or six years ago. I don't notice any dramatic changes in myself, although there must be because age does that to you.

Will you go on like Sir Bobby Robson to 70?

No.

Do you feel tired?

It depends on how you have done. Last season I was tired. I wanted to get on my holiday, get started on the new season.

Have you had any contact yet from Jose Mourinho?

I had my phone off last night and I woke up this morning with 75 new text messages. There could be one from him.

And do you expect a guard of honour at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday?

Apparently Chelsea are going to honour us and I'm pleased with that. Jose was very complimentary in his post-match interviews on Sunday and I expected that. I'm sure he understands that winning and losing are twins and you have to deal with them in the right way. If you win, you don't need to gloat and, if you lose, you don't need to go bananas about it. You have to accept defeat - we all suffer them. And he has done that this time.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 12:37 pm

So he'll be here less than 4 more years (probably 2-3 more seasons) & Giggs and Scholes will stay play a big part but at least he recognises they will need replacing soon.

Good points about Rio, Vidic and Carrick as well.
    poiuy1

Number of posts : 2654

Post by poiuy1 Tue May 08, 2007 12:56 pm

CQ will take over from him IMO
    robert
    robert

Number of posts : 5672
    Supports : Manchester United
    Favourite Player : Giggs
    Registration date : 2006-08-14

Post by robert Tue May 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Franck Ribery has alerted England's top clubs by claiming he would be interested in a move to Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea should he decide to leave Marseille in the summer.

The French international has been given permission to leave Stade Velodrome if a suitable offer materialises, but his long-term future could yet be preserved if Marseille manage to secure a place in the UEFA Champions League in the last three games of the season.

Should l'OM fail to do so, then there is likely to be a long list of candidates for Ribery's signature as he has become one of the continent's hottest properties over the past 12 months.

Whilst seemingly ruling out a move to either Lyon or Bayern Munich, Ribery has explained he could be swayed by an offer to join one of Europe's biggest sides.

"It is true last summer OL were very interested in me, but now I am only attracted by abroad. If I would leave, it would only be for a foreign club," Ribery told France Football.

"I know I am not very excited by a country like Germany. I prefer English and Spanish leagues.

"The clubs that make me dream? Manchester, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea and Milan.

"Money won't make me choose because there is money in any of those clubs. I just want to play, I don't want to change my club just to stay on the bench."

Marseille are currently just one point shy of second-placed Lens following Sunday's 2-1 win over Monaco, a game in which Ribery claimed his fifth goal of the Ligue 1 campaign.

With a Champions League place a distinct possibility, Ribery has not ruled out extending his stay at Stade Velodrome.

"The day I leave Marseille, I would like to leave with my head held high, serene," Ribery added.

"My priority is to play Champions League football next season and why not with Marseille? I will do my best for l'OM to reach it.

"Then we will see what happens by the end of the season."
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 1:16 pm

poiuy1 wrote:CQ will take over from him IMO

What makes you say that? I would of have reservations myself. Not because he's not good enough (he probably is). However he would really struggle to win over the nay-sayers.

@ Robert

I'd take Ribery. ok
    Batman
    Batman

Number of posts : 9071

Post by Batman Tue May 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Ribery seems to be playing well since his return from injury, two goals in his last two games.

At the moment i would say Ribery > Nani, because Ribery is older and more experienced.

I think Arsenal will sign Ribery but today i saw them linked to Babel.
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Tue May 08, 2007 1:29 pm

The Ryan Babel link has been around for a while now. It all started when Robin van Persie invited him over to London to watch a game at the Emirates over Christmas. I has always been on the surface since.

I think we will sign Ribery this Summer, if Marseille fail to qualify for the Champions League apparently we have a verbal agreement with them to sell him to us. He has been looking good recently though despite poor form this season, two assists and a well taken finish recently vs. Sochaux.
    poiuy1

Post by poiuy1 Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Parks lives wrote:
    poiuy1 wrote:CQ will take over from him IMO

What makes you say that? I would of have reservations myself. Not because he's not good enough (he probably is). However he would really struggle to win over the nay-sayers.

@ Robert

I'd take Ribery. ok

CQ has a lot to do with the success we have had this season and the adoption of a totally new strategy

It just strikes me how Fergie can let him have such a big say over tactics and players, he also from what i have heard delegates a lot of training ground and tactical decisions to him etc.

He obviously has a lot of trust in him i can see him being the stop gap manager after fergie retires for the end of the lifespan of the team Fergie is building now
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 1:42 pm

I don't doubt him on tactics and training.

It's character and motivating players that we're yet to see. He obviously failed at Madrid on that side.
    poiuy1

Post by poiuy1 Tue May 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Parks lives wrote:I don't doubt him on tactics and training.

It's character and motivating players that we're yet to see. He obviously failed at Madrid on that side.

He's just a different type of manager, i mean his man management has obviously worked with Ronaldo

i take your point though, maybe he doesn't have the outgoing personality of a premiership manager although look at Benetez jocolor
    poiuy1

Post by poiuy1 Tue May 08, 2007 1:57 pm

anyway could you see Sidwell at United or Chelsea

Also it has occured to me that Fergie might see Fernandez as a alternative to Hargreaves, i read that it is unlikely that Everton will be able to make the deal permenant
    Cesc Soler
    Cesc Soler

Number of posts : 9944
    Supports : Arsenal FC
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Cesc Soler Tue May 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Yes.

Chelsea have reportedly offered Sidwell a £50,000 a week contract.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 pm

Fernades I can, though Makoun is my back up choice for Hargreaves.

Sidwell, I can't.
    poiuy1

Post by poiuy1 Tue May 08, 2007 2:01 pm

he will never get a a game though, Scott Parker mark II
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Fergie Will Field Full strength Against West Ham

------------------------------------------------------

SIR Alex Ferguson is prepared to risk title winners Manchester United getting beaten by Chelsea in order to preserve a sense of fair play in the relegation battle.

Scrapping it out at the bottom is a concept alien to Ferguson apart from one very brief flirtation with danger during his early days as Reds boss.

Yet he is acutely aware all eyes will be on Old Trafford this weekend when United entertain a West Ham side looking for the point that will guarantee their safety.

Ferguson's long-time friendship with Alan Curbishley extends to the Scot presenting the Hammers boss with a return air ticket to New Zealand at the end of last season so his Premiership rival could see his sister after announcing he was stepping down as Charlton manager.

But Ferguson is eager to make it clear Curbishley can expect no favours this weekend, with Sheffield United and Wigan also scrapping for their lives.

And the United chief's determination to ensure he has a full strength side available to face the Hammers means he will rest a number of key man at Stamford Bridge as his team head south to meet the side they have just deposed as champions.

"The West Ham game is a very important issue," said Ferguson.

"We have to respect our reputation.

"Alan Curbishley is a good friend of mine but he understands we have to respect the wishes of other managers.

"I get on very well with Paul Jewell and Alan Pardew as well. They deserve our best attention to the game and I will be picking a team to win on Sunday.

Changes

"I don't know what my team will be at Chelsea but there will be a lot of changes, simply because the players are so tired."

In fact, Ferguson revealed even if Chelsea had beaten Arsenal on Sunday to prolong the title battle, he was considering fielding a less than full-strength side at Stamford Bridge in the belief that a fully fired-up United could have collected the point required to lift the trophy against West Ham four days later.

"I know it would have been controversial but when you consider Chelsea's home record in the last few seasons, I could have played my best team and still lost," he admitted.

"I could have played all my youth team and kept my first-choice one for Sunday.

"In the event, I am glad we are going there as champions. It would have been some game if we weren't."

Among those likely to miss out are Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. Edwin van der Sar may also get a rest, while Ferguson will assess the fitness of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic very carefully, reluctant to take any risks with two of the men he believes have been key to United's success this season.

Although Ferguson has had some excellent central defenders in his ranks, until now none have threatened to forge a partnership as effective as the one Steve Bruce enjoyed with Gary Pallister at the start of United's title-winning sequence in 1993.

However, in the teak-tough Vidic and stylish Ferdinand, Ferguson now has exactly the right blend again.

"Everyone saw the difference it made to us defensively when Vidic and Ferdinand were back together at Manchester City on Saturday," said Ferguson.

"They were absolutely peerless. We have been looking for that foundation of strength in central defence for a long time.

"We have had some combinations but they have not lasted as long as Pallister and Bruce but we hope these two do."
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Good that his resting players tomorrow. Also true what he said about Chelsea at home, there record at Stamford Bridge is excellent.
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Tue May 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Ferguson gives Glazers £50m wish list

United target three new signings for title defence
    Ninth win described as 'biggest achievement' yet

Daniel Taylor
    Tuesday May 8, 2007
    The Guardian

Sir Alex Ferguson, basking in the glory of his ninth Premiership title, has asked the Glazer family to finance an extensive recruitment programme to help Manchester United maintain their superiority over Chelsea next season. "We have identified three targets," said Ferguson, who wants in the region of £50m to spend this summer.
    United have already begun negotiations with Sporting Lisbon for the Portugal international winger Nani, regarded as the brightest young player in the country. Owen Hargreaves, the England midfielder, is expected to join from Bayern Munich despite the two clubs as yet being unable to agree a fee, and United also have a longstanding interest in Southampton's left-back Gareth Bale. Ferguson's success in recruiting those three players will determine whether he goes in for another striker. He is an admirer of Dimitar Berbatov and considered bidding for the Bulgarian before his transfer from Bayer Leverkusen to Tottenham last summer.

Ferguson expects Roman Abramovich to flex his financial muscle at the end of the season and he is asking the Glazers to do the same. "I expect Arsenal to add to their squad, Liverpool to add to their squad and certainly Chelsea will," he said. "We have three targets and the club's owners are aware of who I want. David Gill [the chief executive] is aware too. There is competition for the best players and, if there is competition, they will cost."
    United have been reminded of that in their negotiations for Hargreaves and are becoming increasingly frustrated by Bayern's refusal to lower their valuation. "Everyone thinks it is a done deal but you may be surprised," a leading source at Old Trafford said last night. "They are asking for a ridiculous amount of money. It's not certain at all. They want 20-odd million pounds and it's ridiculous."
    Despite describing the sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy as "not a big decision at all," Ferguson is still on the lookout for another striker. He is exasperated by Louis Saha's injury problems and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Alan Smith are considered only back-up options. "You look through the world and say to yourself: 'where are all the strikers?' There are not a lot of them going around, believe me."
    The task of overhauling Chelsea was, in Ferguson's words, his "biggest achievement" in 20 years as United's manager and he toasted the occasion with champagne at the club's training ground yesterday. Ferguson said he expected both Abramovich and Jose Mourinho still to be at Stamford Bridge next season but he had a warning for them. "I don't think we have an easy task but I do think this team will get better and if they stay together it will give them a real chance," he said.
    Ferguson, who will recall the goalkeeper, Ben Foster, from his loan spell at Watford, is wary of losing potential transfer targets to Chelsea. Arjen Robben, Mikel John Obi, Michael Ballack and Michael Essien have all turned down moves to Old Trafford because they could earn more at Stamford Bridge and Ferguson believes there is a definite trend of Chelsea trying to gazump them in the transfer market.
    "We are always an attraction for new players because we have 76,000 watching us every week and this club has a celebrity status throughout the world. However, the real competition comes when you have to pay £27m for Essien. Chelsea can do that. We are trying to identify players as quietly as we can so we can do the deals as quickly, and as quietly, as we can."
    Resilient Ronaldo
    Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday reserved special acclaim for Cristiano Ronaldo and warned Premiership defenders that the Portuguese winger could not be intimidated. Disgusted by Michael Ball's stamp on Ronaldo on Saturday, which could result in a disciplinary charge today, he praised the Footballer of the Year's composure."I didn't know the full extent of it until seeing it on TV . . . I couldn't believe it," said Ferguson. "But Ronaldo was never going to disappear from the game. It is a quality that the greatest players - Pele, Eusebio, Cruyff - have all had. You see some of the tackles on George Best - that one by Chopper Harris that almost cut in him in half - he rode them and rolled the ball in the net. It is a great example of a great player. And Ronaldo is like that."

Dont know if its been posted before, but I dont think we should pay £20m plus for Hargreaves and I dont think we need Bale, as we have lots of defenders.

We need a striker and a winger, who are both special players and we should blow most of our budget on these two players.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 4:26 pm

But surely that £50 million comes after we've sold the likes of Richardson and two other squad players, maybe one of Silvestre or Heinze and one of Saha or Smith.
    Rez

Number of posts : 3757
    Registration date : 2006-10-06

Post by Rez Tue May 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Possibly, I dont normarly trust newspapers figures, so the budget probably isn't £50m. If we can sell/exchange some players then maybe it may approach £40-45 million. The guardian are normally a reliable source (they were the first to print the Carrick to united story) and I hope they are right about Nani as he is quality and has the attributes (from the 5 games i have seen) to become a great player.
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Rez wrote: Ferguson is still on the lookout for another striker. He is exasperated by Louis Saha's injury problems and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Alan Smith are considered only back-up options. "You look through the world and say to yourself: 'where are all the strikers?' There are not a lot of them going around, believe me."

Very, very true.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851

Post by Tweesus Tue May 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Do you not think the signing of Bale would be a somewhat bizarre one? what would his purpose be exactly with Evra likely to play most games?
    Parks lives

Post by Parks lives Tue May 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Not sure, maybe he see's Bale coming in and being cover at first but eventually taking over in a few seasons. Evra is an excellent left back but he's far from perfect.

Also maybe he see's Bale playing further forward. Welsh left footer and all that. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 pm