Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+44
Bashmachkin
The Easter Bunny
Fade out
Jaime
Pras_tama
Xavier
Rosicky
worms.
Murray
Romford Pele
Brian2468
Hlebagone
S4P
blutgraetsche
fcb
stinger
BoBo Vieri 32
Black Magic
Pierre Littbarski
Deluded F*ck™
110%
COTR
Sheffield gunner
Isco Benny
TheCrazy58
Puro
Dick Grayson
christmasborocooper
Axeslammer
bluenine
Fey
Allez les rouges
Luis
The Pröfessör
DD
Parks lives
Kroos
Kimbo
TM
Aristoskank
Tom
L r dd
debaser
Glenarch of the Glen
48 posters

John Terry dropped as England captain

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

John Terry dropped as England captain - Page 13 Empty Re: John Terry dropped as England captain

Post by Kimbo Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:Mourinho is a winner though, Rafa... not so much.

Yeah, Rafa only won 2 La Ligas and a European cup, boooo! Not to mention the fact that he OWENED Mourinho twice in CL semi finals with Liverpool.

But you believe what the media tell you Kimmy <Ale>

Nothing to do with the media, I was never hot on Rafa, I predicted he would never win the premier league and I predicted he would be a disaster at Inter. I was correct.

Rafa did do well many years ago, but as time goes on the more bizarre those achievements look. <Ale>
    Luis
    Luis

Number of posts : 26262
    Supports : Liverpool
    Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
    Registration date : 2007-03-28

John Terry dropped as England captain - Page 13 Empty Re: John Terry dropped as England captain

Post by Luis Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:

Yeah, Rafa only won 2 La Ligas and a European cup, boooo! Not to mention the fact that he OWENED Mourinho twice in CL semi finals with Liverpool.

Nothing to do with the media, I was never hot on Rafa, I predicted he would never win the premier league and I predicted he would be a disaster at Inter. I was correct.

Rafa did do well many years ago, but as time goes on the more bizarre those achievements look. <Ale>

You must be some kind of guru Kimbo if you got those predictions correct. He missed out by a Macheda goal on the league and had one poor season in the league but because he didn't win the league being only given 6 years to do so you are a complete genius. AND you guessed that he wouldn't be able to top Mourinho's treble win in 6 months at Inter? Holy cow, do you know what the lottery numbers will be this weekend?

So who would be your candidate for England manager? If you count out anyone who hasn't won anything since 'many years ago' then count out all the English managers already. That leaves you with Guardiola, Sir Alex, Del Bosque or Mourinho?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:

You must be some kind of guru Kimbo if you got those predictions correct. He missed out by a Macheda goal on the league and had one poor season in the league but because he didn't win the league being only given 6 years to do so you are a complete genius. AND you guessed that he wouldn't be able to top Mourinho's treble win in 6 months at Inter? Holy cow, do you know what the lottery numbers will be this weekend?

So who would be your candidate for England manager? If you count out anyone who hasn't won anything since 'many years ago' then count out all the English managers already. That leaves you with Guardiola, Sir Alex, Del Bosque or Mourinho?

I didn't just predict he wouldn't top Mourinho, I predicted Inter would plummet down the league. You are being extremely pro-Rafa, try to be objective. <Ale>
    Luis
    Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:

I didn't just predict he wouldn't top Mourinho, I predicted Inter would plummet down the league. You are being extremely pro-Rafa, try to be objective. <Ale>

My objectivity tells me he had one really bad season with Liverpool - the rest were all superb. We won the Champions League and the FA cup, came closer to winning the title than we had done in a decade and more, played some brilliant football and had one of the best teams in Europe. He always handled himself with dignity despite the press being absolutely brutal on him for daring to say what we all think about Mr Ferguson.

I wouldn't want him to become England manager for his own sake. As I said, it's disgusting how England managers are treated when they're English, never mind foreign.

You haven't answered my question. Who do you want as manager?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 pm

I know you finished 2nd once but I can't remember ever feeling Liverpool were likely to win the league. i don't remember you playing brilliant football either, it bored me(and almost everyone else) to tears.

I think we were discussing Rafa for Spurs, not England. Anyway, it would be nice to go English, and Redknapp has done a good job at Spurs, but the Lampard connection puts me off. England has an "old boys" feel about it and I could see Redknapp pandering to those "old boys". Mourinho would be my first choice, but he may not be an option. Though really I think the euro's are a write off, this squad won't do shit no matter who is in charge.
    worms.

Number of posts : 5010
    Supports : BALENCE, PROGRESS, Us(Liverpool), Us(Barcelona) ,Us(Lazio), Us(Napoli), Us(Athletic Club), Us(Valencia), Us(Zenit St Petersburg), Us(Russia), Us(Uruguay), Us(España)!
    Favourite Player : Goldado,Zlatan,Robben aka The Bald Prince, Busquets has now won the Euro's x1, World Cup x1, La Liga x3, UCL x2, Coppa DR x2, UEFA SC x2, Club World Cup x2. At the age of 23
    Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by worms. Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Forza Italia!Forza Milan! wrote:
    worms wrote:The England National team is just a never ending comedy.

Their failure in the Euros will be spectacular like always, followed by an inevitable media witch hunt which will probably be against the new Manager.

What the media fail to realize is the reason England haven't won anything in so long is not because of the never ending list of already proven World Class managers,it's just that the players aren't good technically or anywhere as good in general as the media think they are.

(I know most people on this board and most fans nowadays realize the top English players are vastly overrated,but the media still have stupid expectations which leads to even more pressure on the team.)

This is a bit unfair. Perhaps tabloid press aside, the English media is generally realistic in the wake of elimination. At least that has been the case recently, and my experience reading various sources. And I'm not just talking about brooding, reflexively critical columnists either.

I don't think there is this widespread delusion anymore. England are a bit shit. A lot of people have achingly come to this realization in the last ten years. In 2002, Beckham was 27, Owen was 23 and Ferdinand wasn't a lamppost--England had a right to expect big things and they did lose out to the eventual winners tbf. The good players are older now, the ones touted as good aren't coherently developed enough to make an impact, and Wayne Rooney is a moron. The fervor that precedes a tournament will never go away though. England are a big footballing nation with the best league in the world--equanimity during international tournaments will always be in short supply. The more mature media outlets in England, though, assess the country's chances and failure fairly.

I didn't know La Liga was played in England Very Happy
    The Easter Bunny
    The Easter Bunny

Number of posts : 8563
    Supports : Cambridge
    Favourite Player : Pitt, Potter, Wilkshire, Carden and Larsson

Post by The Easter Bunny Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    Luis wrote:

My objectivity tells me he had one really bad season with Liverpool - the rest were all superb. We won the Champions League and the FA cup, came closer to winning the title than we had done in a decade and more, played some brilliant football and had one of the best teams in Europe. He always handled himself with dignity despite the press being absolutely brutal on him for daring to say what we all think about Mr Ferguson.

I wouldn't want him to become England manager for his own sake. As I said, it's disgusting how England managers are treated when they're English, never mind foreign.

You haven't answered my question. Who do you want as manager?

At the end of the day, you didn't win the league so if Rafa was brought in to build a league team he can be considered a complete failure. Cool he got you to second place, but he never got you the gold and he didn't leave a team worthy of competing for the league.
    However nobody can doubt his CL credentials, to beat that Milan team was truly incredible considering his resources, Rafa is an excellent CL manager. But this is normally over 2 legs so whether he can translate this success to straight knock-out football is debatable. I also feel the Liverpool board held Rafa back, not signing Simao and Alves who have proved to be excellent signings for their respective clubs (Simao at the time)and Alves currently. Again you can bring the adaptation problem into focus, Simao being to light weight and Alves being to attacking would/could of caused substantial problems in the press. Especially with Alves personality which i'm guessing the English media would openly criticise, to attacking/ focusing on perceived defensive deficiencies/diving etc.

Personally if I was in charge of the hiring process, I would look at Hiddink. He might have failed his last two jobs but his credentials within the English game will be enough to garner the respect of the players and his ability tactically can't be in doubt. Other than Hiddink I can't think of another free top quality manager that would seriously consider taking over the England job.
    Jaime
    Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
    Supports : Real Madrid CF
    Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 am

What is Gareth Southgate up to these days?
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 am

He's doing one of those bullshit jobs with the FA...Director of elite development or something.
    110%

Number of posts : 8978
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 am

fcb wrote:He's doing one of those bullshit jobs with the FA...Director of elite development or something.

he sounds busy:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/8623794/FA-head-of-elite-development-Gareth-Southgate-has-his-work-cut-out-trying-to-change-the-future-for-football.html

But we won't know if he is doing his job well until at least 10-15 years from now Wink

But if there is an endless conveyor belt of talent coming through at that time then he would be the right man for the job of manager.
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 am

worms wrote:Luis has a point about the xenophobic attitude in the media.

LOL.

Just seen this - Who the fuck let him out of his fruit stall?!
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

It's incredible, but for all the wrong reasons.

I can't help but thinking (wishing?) this archaic view of the World will die out with that older generation.

But then when you see how kids, particularly at football, are basically miniature versions of their dads, this "we don't need or like foreigners" attitude is no doubt being kept alive down family lines.

On this subject, it's quite reasonable to want an English manager. But idiots like Barry Fry fuel the belief that it's all related to xenophobia.

christmasborocooper
    christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:
    worms wrote:Luis has a point about the xenophobic attitude in the media.

LOL.

Just seen this - Who the fuck let him out of his fruit stall?!

That's what all cockneys sound like to us.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:39 pm

This is what all Geordies sound like to us Ale Laughing

Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Eh? He is from Teeside, talk to smogcopter.
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann

Post by Allez les rouges Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Ha, the idea that "Teesside" sounds drastically different from any other north-easterner, coming from Kimbo, who's just for the 345627th time tried to claim that not only all Londoners, not only all Home counties-dwellers, but all southerners sound like Eastenders Laugh
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Post by Kimbo Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:Ha, the idea that "Teesside" sounds drastically different from any other north-easterner, coming from Kimbo, who's just for the 345627th time tried to claim that not only all Londoners, not only all Home counties-dwellers, but all southerners sound like Eastenders Laugh

THAT was not a Geordie accent. <Ale>
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Laughing

In other news, interesting article offering a different view of everyone's favourite pantomime villain:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/chelsea/109807/former-chelsea-youth-players-candid-account-reveals-another-less-gimpish-side-to-john-terry.html

Former Chelsea Youth Player’s Candid Account Reveals Another, Less Gimpish Side To John Terry

By Chris Wright

The following is copy-and-pasted verbatim from a Chelsea forum, in which former Chelsea youth player Sam Tillen – who now plays his football in Iceland – writes candidly about his experiences as having John Terry as his club captain during his formative years.

I’ve no idea when it dates from, but the article has been translated directly from Icelandic so it may not scan properly in places. That said, it’s perfectly legible and presents Terry in a rarely acknowledged light. It may just add another dimension to your monochrome view of a man so often vilified by all and sundry (hands up, Pies have been as guilty as anyone else on that front on occasion):

As football fans, we don’t get a lot of opportunities to judge a player’s persona, all we get is stuff from the newspaper and other medias and of course how the player acts on the football pitch. It’s normal that our feelings towards them are based on those things, since we don’t know them personally. But unfortunately this can be very deceiving.

Sometimes reporters can have a lot of propaganda. They could have had an argument with the player, be friends with his ex-wife or support a rival club. When a player steps on the field on a Saturday the whole world watches him play under the pressure of his life. Players, managers and supporters have all been waiting for this moment – kick off.

It’s abnormal to judge people’s behaviour under these circumstances. Do you think that when Gary Neville wins a game of hide and seek with his daughter he yells at his wife “Come on!!!!” while he holds on to his shirt like he did in front of Liverpool supporters at Old Trafford? I think not.

When you are around the training ground you get to see the players in their true form. Some of them surprise and charm you while others dissappoint you. This would also be the case if you meet someone in real life. The fact that footballers are famous does not make them any different. They just have talent in a specific field just like doctors or architects. Some of them are good people, others are not.

The year 2002, I was 17 and had been injured for eight months. I usually had to train twice as much to be in form. I trained with several players during rehabilation and since John Terry was facing injury as well I trained a lot with him. We trained together for three or four weeks before he began to play again and prove himself as the number one center-back in the first team.

After this, John always observed how I was doing with my injury and he wished me good luck for my first game after 11 months of rehabilation. Unfortunately in that first game I got heavily injured again and had to go to surgery three days later. When the physio came to visit me he said that ‘JT’ had asked if I could get vacation and he even asked Graeme (Le Saux) if they could use the ‘discipline fund’ (money collected if a player comes to training late and such) from the first team to pay for my vacation. I couldn’t believe it.

After staying home for ten days, I went to the training ground and John was there. He asked how I was doing and then said “Me and Graeme have arranged for you to go to a vacation, you can go wherever you want, with your friend or your brother, you deserve something good. Just think about where you want to go, this isn’t your money! Just let us know how much it costs and we will arrange it.

I didn’t know what to say other than ‘thank you’. I talked to the youth and reserve coaches and they told me it was probably best for me to take the vacation. One of the reserve coaches said that I still had that ‘hospital color’ because I was as white as a ghost. I lost a lot of blood in the surgery and it showed in my face.

My mother had also just had surgery so she could use a a little break from work. That’s why I wanted to take her with me. It was October so I needed to find ‘some place hot’ like John advised me to do.

The one place close that was hot enough was Southern Spain and because this wasn’t my money I didn’t want to take advantage of the generosity from John. So, the next day during practice I said to John “Is it okay if me and my mother go to Sevilla over the weekend?”

His answer was, “Come on Tills! You can go wherever you want for free, why do you want to go there? It won’t even be hot. Look at it again, go to the Caribbean or something, you can sit at the beach without having to worry how much it is going to cost, we will make sure of it.”

So I went and checked again and found a good offer for a trip to Tobago. I talked to my physio for a few days and he said “It’s fine, just talk to JT.” I still felt for bad spending other people’s money, I had never done that before. So naturally I was a little nervous when I was talking to John, telling him about the trip I had in mind.

And what did John say? ”No problem, good choice! Just give me the info and we’ll pay it.” He arranged everything and the day before I was leaving for the trip he called me over in the dressing room. “Tills, your going tomorrow, right?” He went to his pocket and took out £100. ”Here, some pocket money to spend”. I said that I couldn’t accept it. He asked again and again I refused. Then he stood up and said “you’re not going anywhere until you accept this!”. I had no choice.

When I came back from the trip, I was renewed and a large part of the reason was that I was finally ready to play football again, 6 months after my surgery.

In my first game after the injury (in the youth team) we were playing Crystal Palace at our training ground. The first team wasn’t suppose to have training until 3pm but our game was at 10am. John came to see me play, 5 hours before his training. He came just to see if I would get through the game, which happened. He certainly didn’t have to do that, but he did.

When by brother Joe was in the youth team, John paid for driving lessons for every single player in the youth team because he knew how expensive it was when you only get £80-a-week in wages. The youth players just had to tell him how much it cost and John paid it the next day.

At that time, when the youth players were cleaning the first team players’ boots, everyone wanted to get one of the ‘sharks’ – John, Frank Lampard, Jody Morris, etc – because they gave the highest christmas bonuses. Some players didn’t give any bonuses even though the youth players had cleaned they’re boots for six months.

John didn’t only give high bonuses, but he even paid for the youth players fines if he thought they were being treated unfairly. Of course, he told them not to tell a soul.

John has never forgotten what it was like to be a player in the youth team and he is the perfect captain. He was always available if you wanted to talk to him. He always asked every youth player how they were doing in the team. If he heard that you played well in a match, he congratulated and encouraged you. He really had an interest. He never forgot the young players.

He was always monitored the youth players, including me. For instance, he found an agent for me that I signed with. When youth players traveled with the first team he always made sure that they got their bonuses, that made a lot of difference in their paychecks.

He helped them adapt and welcomed them into a new environment. On the pitch and the training ground he was magnificent, he had an heart like a lion. He trained after practices, always did that little extra. We really looked up to him.

It wasn’t just the youth players either. There are endless stories of his kindness and generosity, stories that never left the training ground. One of them stands out: We had an old masseuse called Al. One day his car broke down for good. He said that he couldn’t attend training sessions anymore because it was very difficult for a man of his age to use public transport.

One day after practice, John told him to go to the parking lot and close his eyes. When he opened them he saw a brand new car. John had asked every player in the first team to chip in to buy Al a new car. The old man started to cry. This all happened before Roman Abramovich and before John was a superstar and started making big money.

Last year Al got seriously sick and had to be in a hospital. When John found out, he immediately contacted him. Al was flattered to hear from him, and his wife was delighted that John had taken the time to think about him. John visited Al regularly until he passed away and John, of course, attended his funeral.

Marcel Desailly – the Chelsea captain before him – didn’t do anything like the things John did. He couldn’t care less about the young players or anyone else in the club for that matter.

As a player he was impeccable, but as a captain he did nothing and wasn’t even close to what John is. In my first and second year in the youth team it was our job to get signed shirts from players from the first team, those shirts where then sent to fans or to a charity.

We all stood in a row in the hallway before practices when the first team players walked passed us and then they signed the shirts. When Mr. Desailly came, he usually pretended to be on the phone so he didn’t have to do anything. We were like “Marcel, uuuuuumm, Marcel, could you please…..” and then he was gone. Disappointment.

Some players cause you a lot of disappointment when you meet them personally. They also do that in daily life. John has, of course, had a few problems off the pitch that have gotten a lot of press, but I will always remember how he treated me when I was a teenager.

No one else would have done that or even thought about doing it. He is no saint, but there is a reason why Chelsea fans, players and staff look at John Terry as a real leader.”

Cockle warming. Take from that what you will. I’m sure it won’t go along way to adding any perspective or depth to the vast majority of people’s opinion of the man, but it’s certainly refreshing to hear Terry’s name mentioned in a positive context once in a blue moon.
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm

At the end of the day, you didn't win the league so if Rafa was brought in to build a league team he can be considered a complete failure. Cool he got you to second place, but he never got you the gold and he didn't leave a team worthy of competing for the league.

At the middle of the day, Rafa was brought in to take us to the next level. Houllier got us to that 4th spot and we qualified for the Champions League. We had a piss poor squad for Rafa to come in and work with bar Gerrard and Carragher in their prime, Hyypia and Hamann. The rest of the team was no way near the standard expected of a top European team. Cool, he brought in Alonso, Garcia, Reina and then Mascherano and Torres later on. Cool, he brought in both Agger and Skrtel for relatively cheap fees and both have been fantastic this season for us. Cool, we were forced to sell Alonso and Mascherano to fund our debt and the owners sacked him, brought in Roy Hodgson and we were almost relegated. It's not down to him to leave anything; he should never have had to leave in the first place. Hodgson got a better squad than Rafa did when he first came and decided Konchesky and Poulsen were good options for us.

However nobody can doubt his CL credentials, to beat that Milan team was truly incredible considering his resources, Rafa is an excellent CL manager. But this is normally over 2 legs so whether he can translate this success to straight knock-out football is debatable. I also feel the Liverpool board held Rafa back, not signing Simao and Alves who have proved to be excellent signings for their respective clubs (Simao at the time)and Alves currently. Again you can bring the adaptation problem into focus, Simao being to light weight and Alves being to attacking would/could of caused substantial problems in the press. Especially with Alves personality which i'm guessing the English media would openly criticise, to attacking/ focusing on perceived defensive deficiencies/diving etc.

Here you talk sense. It seems to contradict your earlier points though. As for the knock out stuff, it's still about tactics; how can you beat Spain or Germany in one game say 1-0? It can be done and Rafa would know how IMO.

Personally if I was in charge of the hiring process, I would look at Hiddink. He might have failed his last two jobs but his credentials within the English game will be enough to garner the respect of the players and his ability tactically can't be in doubt. Other than Hiddink I can't think of another free top quality manager that would seriously consider taking over the England job.

Agree.

The England manager will be Redknapp and if he doesn't want it I really do believe Hodgson will get it. That's what a lot of England fans want remarkably so let them have it and see what they're saying in one years time.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town

Post by debaser Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Luis wrote:The England manager will be Redknapp and if he doesn't want it I really do believe Hodgson will get it. That's what a lot of England fans want remarkably so let them have it and see what they're saying in one years time.

I'm not sure it's so much that people want Hodgson, just that he is one of the very few realistic English candidates. In PL right now, the only English managers are 'arry, Woy and Pardew. Suspect if Newcastle had been in their 2nd year running doing well, then Pardew would be touted as a candidate, he's probably just not quite seen as proven enough.

Otherwise who is there that's English? Allardyce, Pearce, Southgate. Pretty soon you're scraping the barrel.
    S4P
    S4P

Number of posts : 14358
    Supports : Chelsea
    Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by S4P Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:16 pm

The Konchesky and Poulsen signs were incredible, but so is this claim that you almost got relegated with Hodgson. You were 12th with 2 games in hand on almost everyone above you.

Hodgson seems to be a good small club manager. He took Fulham from the brink of relegation to European football (and Europa League runners up) and is doing a stable job at West Brom. I wouldn't read too much into his time at Liverpool because, like Rafa at Inter, the job was a bit of a poisoned chalice for him. I wouldn't want him to take the England job simply because I don't think he has the personality to handle the egos of Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Rooney etc.
    fcb
    fcb

Number of posts : 40471
    Supports : FC Barcelona
    Registration date : 2006-08-11

Post by fcb Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:48 pm

To be fair, Hodgson wasn't exactly given the same sort of money as Dalglish or Benitez (in his early years when he was shaping the squad) got. Poulsen and Konchesky were disastrous signings, but there weren't many options available to Hodgson were there?
    Luis
    Luis

Post by Luis Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:16 pm

fcb wrote:To be fair, Hodgson wasn't exactly given the same sort of money as Dalglish or Benitez (in his early years when he was shaping the squad) got. Poulsen and Konchesky were disastrous signings, but there weren't many options available to Hodgson were there?

I'm very glad he wasn't given money with some of the targets we were after under him. The club had no money for transfers from 2007 onwards without us having to sell first. If you allow Hodgson this excuse, then allow Rafa it for most part of his time with us as well.

Roy Hodgson is a cretin; he's arrogant, ignorant and probably believes he deserves the England job. The fact that he's even being considered shows how low England has sunk.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Hodgson is given a pretty raw deal by a lot of Liverpool fans, the reality is that the only thing I can remember him doing right was signing Meireles. His Liverpool legacy will always be associated with Hicks/Gillette, the dire brand of football and the Poulson, Konchesky, Joe Cole, Brad Jones money pits.

Give Arse en Wanger the job says I Ale
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:54 am

What a dilemma for England! Which manager to hire? Anyone besides Roy Hodgson and the potential for comedy value is enormous.

I read that a lot of fans want Redknapp. HA! HA! HA! he'd better take Modric, van der Vaart, Bale, Adebayor, Assou-Ekotto, King, Kaboul and Friedel with him.
    Puro
    Puro

Number of posts : 10679
    Registration date : 2006-09-12

Post by Puro Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:53 pm

It would be wise for Redknapp to also take Saha with him to the English team. Biggrin <Ale>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:26 pm