Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
S4P
Super Progress
Romford Pele
Jaime
Di Caniooooo!
rosenthal
blutgraetsche
The Pröfessör
Brian2468
christmasborocooper
Parks lives
fcb
Kimbo
Fey
Hlebagone
Tweesus
L r dd
Deano
Dwarf
Aristoskank
debaser
Isco Benny
Deluded F*ck™
Fade out
gone
Axeslammer
Glenarch of the Glen
31 posters

can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL?

Poll

can they? hmm?

[ 21 ]
    can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL? - Page 6 Bar_left54%can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL? - Page 6 Bar_right [54%] 
    [ 18 ]
    can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL? - Page 6 Bar_left46%can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL? - Page 6 Bar_right [46%] 

Total Votes: 39
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL? - Page 6 Empty Re: can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL?

Post by Isco Benny Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Kimbo wrote:3 words, the Mamic brothers. <Ale>

Three words - what the fuck?
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Number of posts : 9733
    Registration date : 2008-09-19

can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL? - Page 6 Empty Re: can anyone stop Tottenham winning the EPL?

Post by Aristoskank Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:
    Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Modric plays a more attacking role. He has shown unbelievable control when tightly marked or closed down. He also has this ability to run with the ball into channels and angles where he can't be fouled (this is also true with likes of Arshavin, Hleb, Benayoun, Nasri, etc). It is not exactly pace they use, but they are still able to get past players.

That sort of a player is Modric. This is fast becoming a trademark of 'eastern european' playmakers. <Ale>

Funny how you've invented a special type of player that is primarily Arsenal players.
    Hlebagone
    Hlebagone

Number of posts : 6086
    Registration date : 2007-03-17

Post by Hlebagone Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    The Professor wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:
    The Professor wrote:Just watched a re run of the Spurs vs Birmingham match.

I've got to say Modric is unbelievably good. He ran everything. Is there a better PL player of his type atm? I doubt it. No disrespect, but he's too good for Spurs. He could play for the Madrids, Barcas, and ManUs of this world and still look good.

I know this thread was started just for banter, but Spurs are building a serious team. They'd be deadly if only they could replace Keane with a half striker/half playmaker type player.

Hope they sell Modric in January.

Rolling Eyes

Let's see where we finish the season before suggesting he's too good for Spurs.

Why on Earth would he want to leave right now when - as you quite rightly said - we're building a seriously competitive team, he's given license to roam in an attacking team, and praised every weekend by his manager?

This is the player of course that Wenger didn't try and sign because he wasn't strong enough to play in the Premier League. So I'm not surprised you're seething with envy. You have Diaby and Eboue though Ale

We don't have to wait Mr Pele. Spurs as u know will always remain a level below the big boys. That's where they are destined to be. Some things are just meant to be like that, you've got to accept it.

Modric however, should be playing at a bigger club, a level higher.

Laugh For shit stirring, that's not bad at all

Nothing else needs to be said other than you won't be celebrating St Totteringham's day anytime soon.

Think about it,

and have a nice day Ale

I think its nice that you're so happy and confident. Lord knows, its been a while, but do you remember what happened to Tottenham last time you started making such outspoken claims old chap?
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Number of posts : 18652
    Supports : Arsenal (Team Progress)
    Favourite Player : Ozil
    Registration date : 2006-10-05

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Poison the bastards cheers
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Hlebagone wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:
    The Professor wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:

I've got to say Modric is unbelievably good. He ran everything. Is there a better PL player of his type atm? I doubt it. No disrespect, but he's too good for Spurs. He could play for the Madrids, Barcas, and ManUs of this world and still look good.

I know this thread was started just for banter, but Spurs are building a serious team. They'd be deadly if only they could replace Keane with a half striker/half playmaker type player.

Rolling Eyes

Why on Earth would he want to leave right now when - as you quite rightly said - we're building a seriously competitive team, he's given license to roam in an attacking team, and praised every weekend by his manager?

This is the player of course that Wenger didn't try and sign because he wasn't strong enough to play in the Premier League. So I'm not surprised you're seething with envy. You have Diaby and Eboue though Ale

We don't have to wait Mr Pele. Spurs as u know will always remain a level below the big boys. That's where they are destined to be. Some things are just meant to be like that, you've got to accept it.

Nothing else needs to be said other than you won't be celebrating St Totteringham's day anytime soon.

Think about it,

and have a nice day Ale

I think its nice that you're so happy and confident. Lord knows, its been a while, but do you remember what happened to Tottenham last time you started making such outspoken claims old chap?

what happened?

it can't be any worse than Guzman's title celebration thread in January last year.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Number of posts : 6128
    Favourite Player : Baggio (he outshone Zidane when played together at Juve)
    Registration date : 2008-07-06

Post by Fade out Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:Funny how you've invented a special type of player that is primarily Arsenal players.

It is not 'special type', it's been widely prevalent. I'd wanted to name EPL players, but not many clever playmakers are of that type in England. Joe Cole, Tuncay, Milner, etc are close to that type, too.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:43 pm

MILNER? No no no no no!
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Spider crouch,

No, you are wrong. Bendtner is good in the air, contrary to what you claim. A bad observation, simply put. He hasn't played a full season, but I still remember only the headed goals from Bendtner. Knickerless or not, his aerial ability is far higher than Crouch.

Bendtner is not particularly good in the air. We will continue to disagree on this. And I will make a bet with you that Crouch will score more headed goals this season than Bendtner.

I also see talentless pace merchant Lennon won us the second game in a row.

So overall, a good week for you observations Unflinching cheers

Bendtner not good in the air? Did I miss something?
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:Funny how you've invented a special type of player that is primarily Arsenal players.

It is not 'special type', it's been widely prevalent. I'd wanted to name EPL players, but not many clever playmakers are of that type in England. Joe Cole, Tuncay, Milner, etc are close to that type, too.

So if I'm reading you correctly you mean players who can dribble without relying on pace/acceleration? Is that a 'type'? Maybe...
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:46 pm

does playmaker now mean midfielder with no defensive or physical qualities? The players discussed are essentially wingers who can't beat a man on the outside.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I think he means players who are also good in tight spaces.
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:51 pm

I still have no idea what this type of player is.
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:52 pm

AM to me, but I wouldn't include Milner in this list.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm

so basically small slow/fat wingers?
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Nasri, Modric, Arshavin, Tuncay, J.Cole- Fat?! Ok.
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:58 pm

have another look at what I wrote Ray
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21765
    Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
    Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Kimbo wrote:
    MadVillain™️ wrote:Damien Duff is a genius though because he chose Newcastle over Spurs, right Question

*Nothing at all to do with Chelsea demanding twice as much off us for him as they did from you Rolling Eyes

Spurs had a bid accepted Kris, try again.

Nope, we had 2 offers turned down, Pot Belly.
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:11 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:
    Kimbo wrote:
    MadVillain™️ wrote:Damien Duff is a genius though because he chose Newcastle over Spurs, right Question

*Nothing at all to do with Chelsea demanding twice as much off us for him as they did from you Rolling Eyes

Spurs had a bid accepted Kris, try again.

Nope, we had 2 offers turned down, Pot Belly.

Damien disagrees Kriss. I'd rather listen to him than a jewish propaganda machine.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:
    The Professor wrote:
    Stimulus Package wrote:Depends, what sort of player would you say Modric is? Who would we be directly comparing him to in the EPL, like for like?

He is an excellent player, no doubt. Took a bit of time to adapt, but (and this is a rare thing in a Spurs signing) is worth more than they paid for him.

Actually there are not many players like him. I'd compare him to Hleb. Benayoun is not that dissimilar, but he's more of a forward. They don't get u a lot of goals and assists, but they run your attack.

In terms of minutes on the pitch Benyanoon does quite well doesn't he?

You compare everyone you like to Hleb.

Do I? Smile

I think I have only ever said Arshavin brings the creative side of things which we missed since we sold Hleb.

Oh, and that Diaby's got similar dribbling style, but he lacks Hleb's passing and vision.

Yeah Benayoun does score enough goals. As I said he's more of a forward compared to Hleb or Modric.

Stimulus Package wrote: So let's extend the boundaries - outside the EPL, what players do you think there are like Modric? What exactly is it about his role and style that you enjoy and respect?

let me just quote UF here:

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Modric plays a more attacking role. He has shown unbelievable control when tightly marked or closed down. He also has this ability to run with the ball into channels and angles where he can't be fouled (this is also true with likes of Arshavin, Hleb, Benayoun, Nasri, etc). It is not exactly pace they use, but they are still able to get past players.

That sort of a player is Modric. This is fast becoming a trademark of 'eastern european' playmakers. <Ale>

<Ale>

What I like about him is his touch, unebelieveable ball control, dribbling skills, and above all his intelligence.

All formations in the PL(or in the modern game in general) these days are geared towards controlling space, teams are set up in a way that allows them to cover space as much as possible. Teams are more compact, more difficult to play through. And it's the most effective way to defend against teams with more resources, that's because there are few players who are comfortable in operating in small confined areas. Hleb is one of the very few.

Hleb can pick up the ball on the half way line under immense pressure from 2 or 3 players and comfortably leave them for dead with a combination of close control, ball skills, body movements etc , So that's 2 or 3 opposition players taken out of the game, meaning more space to operate in. But that's not the most difficult part, someone like Diaby can do that, but the most difficult part is to pick out a pass that turns the opposition over, and at the right time. Hleb can play a quick forward pass wide to the fullbacks, but he can also play that pass that's a pain in the ass to defend against, namely those between the DM and CBs, fullbacks and CBs or behind the defence. It's all about precision passing, quickness of mind and good timing. A few seconds delay, and the pass might be intercepted or the space covered. But sometimes the 1st option that shows up isn't the best though, but if the players is intelligent enough, he'd delay the pass - see Hleb pass to Cesc for the goal against Liverpool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnO8OPMsaHw - the video is of poor quality though

As Cesc Fabregas said : “He(hleb) always looks for you with a pass and if you give him the ball you can always count on getting it back at the right time.”

See Hleb's performance vs Manu here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEtaNKo0E6U

And that's not even mentioning his ability to keep the ball. He can hold on to it as long as he wants, nobody is gonna get it off him. That helped take pressure off us when teams where attacking us. We miss him badly especially in big games.

EDIT: here's a better quality video for the Fabregas goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s509LLFVhYs&feature=related

I remember a quality pass from him to Ade in the CL quarters against Pool, but I can't find it.
    The Pröfessör
    The Pröfessör

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Pröfessör Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Spider Crouch wrote:
    The Professor wrote:
    Spider Crouch wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Think about it,

and have a nice day Ale

Don't speak too soon, Pele Wink

Have a nice day too <Ale>
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
    Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
    Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:15 pm

The Professor wrote:
    Stimulus Package wrote:
    The Professor wrote:
    Stimulus Package wrote:Depends, what sort of player would you say Modric is? Who would we be directly comparing him to in the EPL, like for like?

He is an excellent player, no doubt. Took a bit of time to adapt, but (and this is a rare thing in a Spurs signing) is worth more than they paid for him.

Actually there are not many players like him. I'd compare him to Hleb. Benayoun is not that dissimilar, but he's more of a forward. They don't get u a lot of goals and assists, but they run your attack.

In terms of minutes on the pitch Benyanoon does quite well doesn't he?

You compare everyone you like to Hleb.

Do I? Smile

I think I have only ever said Arshavin brings the creative side of things which we missed since we sold Hleb.

Oh, and that Diaby's got similar dribbling style, but he lacks Hleb's passing and vision.

Yeah Benayoun does score enough goals. As I said he's more of a forward compared to Hleb or Modric.

Stimulus Package wrote: So let's extend the boundaries - outside the EPL, what players do you think there are like Modric? What exactly is it about his role and style that you enjoy and respect?

let me just quote UF here:

<Ale>

What I like about him is his touch, unebelieveable ball control, dribbling skills, and above all his intelligence.

All formations in the PL(or in the modern game in general) these days are geared towards controlling space, teams are set up in a way that allows them to cover space as much as possible. Teams are more compact, more difficult to play through. And it's the most effective way to defend against teams with more resources, that's because there are few players who are comfortable in operating in small confined areas. Hleb is one of the very few.

Hleb can pick up the ball on the half way line under immense pressure from 2 or 3 players and comfortably leave them for dead with a combination of close control, ball skills, body movements etc , So that's 2 or 3 opposition players taken out of the game, meaning more space to operate in. But that's not the most difficult part, someone like Diaby can do that, but the most difficult part is to pick out a pass that turns the opposition over, and at the right time. Hleb can play a quick forward pass wide to the fullbacks, but he can also play that pass that's a pain in the ass to defend against, namely those between the DM and CBs, fullbacks and CBs or behind the defence. It's all about precision passing, quickness of mind and good timing. A few seconds delay, and the pass might be intercepted or the space covered. But sometimes the 1st option that shows up isn't the best though, but if the players is intelligent enough, he'd delay the pass - see Hleb pass to Cesc for the goal against Liverpool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnO8OPMsaHw - the video is of poor quality though

As Cesc Fabregas said : “He(hleb) always looks for you with a pass and if you give him the ball you can always count on getting it back at the right time.”

See Hleb's performance vs Manu here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEtaNKo0E6U

And that's not even mentioning his ability to keep the ball. He can hold on to it as long as he wants, nobody is gonna get it off him. That helped take pressure off us when teams where attacking us. We miss him badly especially in big games.

EDIT: here's a better quality video for the Fabregas goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s509LLFVhYs&feature=related

I remember a quality pass from him to Ade in the CL quarters against Pool, but I can't find it.
    Nice post and I remember the Guardian or some paper made an article on that assist for Cesc against Liverpool and courrage enough to wait out for the pass because in those situations if he doesn't get it exactly right the player will get hacked on for waiting to long or overcomplicating it. The problem is also that these guys really players making the right runs.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Yeah, good post. Hleb 'was' an exciting player to watch, provided the system is built around him. In many ways, he made Fabregas and that whole midfield with Flamni n rosicky look brilliant that season, no?
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Yeah, good post. Hleb 'was' an exciting player to watch, provided the system is built around him. In many ways, he made Fabregas and that whole midfield with Flamni n rosicky look brilliant that season, no?
    I would say so but if you are going to have that type of player you also need somebody like Pires who could get those goals and assists on the other flank. Rosicky hasn't performed this role or been good enough in my opinion.
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Yeah, I don't think Ro-SICK-y would ever replace Pires, on the other hand the fact Nasri COULD, is something people should never forget. Whistle
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Super Granero wrote:
    Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Yeah, good post. Hleb 'was' an exciting player to watch, provided the system is built around him. In many ways, he made Fabregas and that whole midfield with Flamni n rosicky look brilliant that season, no?
    I would say so but if you are going to have that type of player you also need somebody like Pires who could get those goals and assists on the other flank. Rosicky hasn't performed this role or been good enough in my opinion.

It was working fine for us, what with Lennon getting 2 winning goals and a couple of assists against Hull.
    Super Progress
    Super Progress

Post by Super Progress Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:50 pm

MadVillain™️ wrote:
    Super Granero wrote:

It was working fine for us, what with Lennon getting 2 winning goals and a couple of assists against Hull.
    What I also meant is that you need somebody who can be more direct and this case a winger would be a fine choice allthough I don't know how good Lennon's stats are. Also just to get it right you are not comparing Lennon with Rosicky in terms of style?
    Aristoskank
    Aristoskank

Post by Aristoskank Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Yeah, I don't think Ro-SICK-y would ever replace Pires, on the other hand the fact Nasri COULD, is something people should never forget. Whistle

Until he inevitably doesn't...
    Fade out
    Fade out

Post by Fade out Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Stimulus Package wrote:
    Unflinching Frenchman wrote:Yeah, I don't think Ro-SICK-y would ever replace Pires, on the other hand the fact Nasri COULD, is something people should never forget. Whistle

Until he inevitably doesn't...

Let's see. It's early days. Let us come back to this after a couple of seasons Cool
    Deluded F*ck™
    Deluded F*ck™

Post by Deluded F*ck™ Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Super Granero wrote:
    MadVillain™️ wrote:
    Super Granero wrote:

What I also meant is that you need somebody who can be more direct and this case a winger would be a fine choice allthough I don't know how good Lennon's stats are. Also just to get it right you are not comparing Lennon with Rosicky in terms of style?

ok
    Romford Pele
    Romford Pele

Post by Romford Pele Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Friends cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:51 pm