Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+39
Axeslammer
Fey
Cesc Soler
EM Seleção e Selecção
The Easter Bunny
Fade out
Puro
Rosicky.
Di Caniooooo!
TheCrazy58
Chocolate Thunder
COTR
Chris 23*
EMP
Deluded F*ck™
Tom
Luis
110%
Sheffield gunner
BoBo Vieri 32
Glenarch of the Glen
Allez les rouges
Tweesus
christmasborocooper
stinger
Super Progress
Isco Benny
Six
Aristoskank
fcb
debaser
Kimbo
Brian2468
Kroos
Romford Pele
Black Magic
Pierre Littbarski
Khadrim
L r dd
43 posters

England squad

L r dd

Number of posts : 12451
    Registration date : 2008-12-22

England squad - Page 2 Empty Re: England squad

Post by L r dd Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 pm

I don't know how to defend him he's had 5 good games this season. But considering he's playing in massive games every year and he's probably amoing our best line up and keeps winning trophies i think there must be something good about him. I havent put my finger on what yet though. I'll get back to you.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Number of posts : 34851
    Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Tweesus Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 am

Hoping CC gets a start ahead of Heskey. Really, if the squad is picked on form alone, CC should be the starter up to with Rooney.

Equally surprised by the lack of inclusion of Joe Cole. What is Capello thinking? Both Walcott and SWP have been shite this season.
    debaser
    debaser

Number of posts : 22064
    Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
    Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

assuming Rooney injured

Hart
    Brown-Terry-Upson-Warnock
    Milner-Lampard-Barry-Gerrard
    C.Cole-Defoe

ok
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Number of posts : 8098
    Supports : Deutschland, Arsenal
    Favourite Player : Jens Lehmann
    Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Allez les rouges Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Shurely you has to start thinking about playing Rooney up front alone in a 4-5-1? With maybe Lennon, Lampard, Milner, Barry, Gerrard behind?

Would seem craaaazy to insist on Heskey over Milner in current form and with Rooney's ability to play the front-runner as recently demonstrated...
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Brown Erm

I'd rather Phil Neville were given a chance. I quite like Phil Neville actually. He was villified after euro 2000 but he's ten times the footballer than Brown is on the ball.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Tweesus wrote:Brown Erm

I'd rather Phil Neville were given a chance. I quite like Phil Neville actually. He was villified after euro 2000 but he's ten times the footballer than Brown is on the ball.

Yeah Brown ain't exactly the best RB around, but he's the only option in the squad - not really sure why people think Milner can play full back. Far as I can remember, he's only done it for 20 mins here and there when chasing the game. I'm sure he can play there, just as Gerrard or Beckham probably can, but he really shouldn't be anything other than a last resort when several injured or as a desperate attacking subsitution.

P.Neville/Brown probably much of muchness. Both got lots of experience, but both have weaknesses. Hopefully Johnson gets fit. Or Micah Richards turns back the clock 2 or 3 yrs.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:Shurely you has to start thinking about playing Rooney up front alone in a 4-5-1? With maybe Lennon, Lampard, Milner, Barry, Gerrard behind?

Would seem craaaazy to insist on Heskey over Milner in current form and with Rooney's ability to play the front-runner as recently demonstrated...

It'd certainly be worth trying in a friendly. But not this one if Rooney ain't fully fit, plus Lennon's missing.
    Brian2468

Number of posts : 4875

Post by Brian2468 Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Allez les rouges wrote:Shurely you has to start thinking about playing Rooney up front alone in a 4-5-1? With maybe Lennon, Lampard, Milner, Barry, Gerrard behind?

Man U play Rooney at times 4-5-1 and Capello may use this option.
    Still need goal scorers around him relying on Rooney all the time could hurt the side at this time he seems to be doing this at his club to a certain extent.

Even if you do not like Carrick he must do something right off the ball in midfield for Man U. Capello requires good short ball passers in the middle the way he plays the side they squeeze the middle and pressure.

Besides Lamps, who could cover ground better and make accurate short passes Carrick and Barry are close to each other in that Carrick has more defending pace off the ball Barry has more confidence in front of goal.
    Milner is growing into a good player his movement and passing is good.
    Tweesus
    Tweesus

Post by Tweesus Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Also...

Man Utd play 4-5-1 because Rooney-Berbatov doesn't seem to work that well as a partnership.

Heskey-Rooney has worked very well in qualification however.

That said, Heskey's form hasn't been inspiring of late - I'd love CC to be given a go alongside Rooney at some point though.
    stinger

Number of posts : 6477
    Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Tweesus wrote:Brown Erm

Yikes

He was doing very well last season as a defensive midfielder playing along Arteta, but this season he is right back again... and he really can't do it anymore. And his ball ability was, is and always will be terrible...
    Glenarch of the Glen

Number of posts : 30157
    Supports : Palestine
    Favourite Player : Hélder Barbosa

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Brian2468 wrote:

Even if you do not like Carrick he must do something right off the ball in midfield for Man U. Capello requires good short ball passers in the middle the way he plays the side they squeeze the middle and pressure.

then perhaps Alex Ferguson should be England manager, Carrick is no good for England because England do not play the same way as Man Utd, although perhaps they could - the personnel is certainly available.

If Man Utd had been playing well and winning convincingly then perhaps there would be a case for this, but they have been overachieving, riding their luck and reputation while being overly reliant on Rooney. It's certainly not a blueprint for success.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Maxi Rodríglenn wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:

then perhaps Alex Ferguson should be England manager, Carrick is no good for England because England do not play the same way as Man Utd, although perhaps they could - the personnel is certainly available.

If Man Utd had been playing well and winning convincingly then perhaps there would be a case for this, but they have been overachieving, riding their luck and reputation while being overly reliant on Rooney. It's certainly not a blueprint for success.

How are Man Utd not playing well?
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

L r dd wrote:
    Maxi Rodríglenn wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/results/default.stm

take away Rooney and Man Utd are nothing

A nice run of home games this year doesn't gloss over how bad the team has been.
    L r dd

Post by L r dd Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Maxi Rodríglenn wrote:
    L r dd wrote:
    Maxi Rodríglenn wrote:
    Brian2468 wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/results/default.stm

take away Rooney and Man Utd are nothing

A nice run of home games this year doesn't gloss over how bad the team has been.

Cup final yesterday played very well.
    3-0 West Ham very good performance could have been more.
    3-1 Everton shabby but after midweek in europe.
    2-3 Milan - decent second half.
    1-1 villa with 10 men was a great performance.
    5-0 Portsmouth speaks for itself
    1-3 Arsenal musta been one of them easy home games. Seem to remember we played well in that one.
    3-1 Man City - Amazing performance.

So in the last 8 games 6 have been very good to excellent performances playing very well. So how are Man Utd not playing well? Laughing Don't need to answer just wanted to correct you Ale
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Cup Final, referee and Rooney
    West Ham, Rooney
    Everton, poor game from Rooney = defeat
    Milan, lacklustre 1st half saved by Rooney + tiring pensioners
    Villa, no Rooney goal, no win
    Portsmouth speaks for itself
    Arsenal was a good result and performance (by Rooney)
    Man City, saved by Rooney

and that's just the last 8 games.

Thanks Ale
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

I do not buy this Ronaldo or Rooney business carrying the whole team. They were or are both set up in a system to get the best out of the players ability in front of goal. Even if fergie did not have Rooney the system would of been set up another way. Man U has always found ways to win games while underperforming it is not the way they have always played.

Heskey has been playing horrible his whole career you know what you are getting Capello can play him now or next year it's the same. Using Carlton Cole with Rooney if fit in this friendly is worth it. Heskey is tried and proven his brand works against most teams suck it up... Biggrin
    Khadrim
    Khadrim

Number of posts : 1719
    Supports : Fulham soft spot for Liverpool, Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Rubin Kazan
    Favourite Player : Paintsil, Barry, Iniesta, Ozil
    Registration date : 2007-03-27

Post by Khadrim Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Rio England Braptain wrote:Stinger is spot on - Huddlestone doesn't have the big game experience.

I wouldn't want him to go to the world cup, I think it will only hinder his progress.

Say what you like about Carrick, but he does know how to retain the ball.

When you consider the criticisim often levelled at England is our inability to maintain possession for long periods, it's important to have someone in the team who can provide this.

Also, he plays with Rooney at United, and will be familiar with Rooney's runs.

Not for England he doesn't. He has been rubbish for England again and again and again. How bad does he have to be for people to accept he is not good enough for England.
    debaser
    debaser

Post by debaser Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Khadrim wrote:
    Rio England Braptain wrote:Stinger is spot on - Huddlestone doesn't have the big game experience.

I wouldn't want him to go to the world cup, I think it will only hinder his progress.

Say what you like about Carrick, but he does know how to retain the ball.

When you consider the criticisim often levelled at England is our inability to maintain possession for long periods, it's important to have someone in the team who can provide this.

Also, he plays with Rooney at United, and will be familiar with Rooney's runs.

Not for England he doesn't. He has been rubbish for England again and again and again. How bad does he have to be for people to accept he is not good enough for England.

This is the thing. Barry earned his spot in the England team by playing well when he got his chance - he was probably the best player in McLaren's spell. Carrick's had numerous chances and never really made his mark. Same goes for Jenas.
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
    Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
    Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha

Post by Isco Benny Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Managed to wangle a ticket for Wednesday.

I have every intention of taking the opportunity to shout abuse at John Terry.

I will also be showing my support for Aaron lennon by shaving two vertical lines into my left eyebrow.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:01 am

Bernd

Who did you have to suck off to get your ticket?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 am

BoBo Vieri 32 wrote:Bernd

I didn't think you would be interested in going to this match.
    BoBo Vieri 32
    BoBo Vieri 32

Number of posts : 10187
    Supports : Whichever Serie A team is doing best in the Champions League/Port Vale
    Favourite Player : Andy Townsend, Robbie Earle
    Registration date : 2006-08-13

Post by BoBo Vieri 32 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:16 am

Kimbo wrote:

I didn't think you would be interested in going to this match.

was it your dad?
    Kimbo
    Kimbo

Number of posts : 38171

Post by Kimbo Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am

Will it help get you off if i say yes?
    Brian2468

Post by Brian2468 Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 am

David James, Robert Green, Joe Hart; Wes Brown, James Milner, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Joleon Lescott, Ryan Shawcross, Leighton Baines, Stephen Warnock; David Beckham, Theo Walcott, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stewart Downing; Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch, Carlton Cole

Start off with:

---------------------Joe Hart--------------------------

Brown------ Terry----------Shawcross-------Baines

SWP-----------Milner-----------Barry-------Gerrard

----------------C. Cole------- Rooney-----------------
    Kroos
    Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
    Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
    Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 am

looks like crap

9 players wouldn`t get in our team
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 am

That may be how it works in Lebanon, but here you can give someone money Ale
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 am

Özil wrote:looks like crap

Biggrin

It does a bit...

Add an extra midfielder and try the 4-5-1 thing with Rooney wreaking havoc up front that the c**ts have got going on. It's the last chance...
    Isco Benny
    Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 am

Allez les rouges wrote:
    Özil wrote:looks like crap

Biggrin

It does a bit...

Add an extra midfielder and try the 4-5-1 thing with Rooney wreaking havoc up front that the c**ts have got going on. It's the last chance...

Yeah but we've been obsessed in this country for too long about putting out the best XI on paper. It's why Lampard and Gerrard have been crowbarred into midfield so many times.

The last England game I went to, the best player on the pitch was Heskey, because he was fabulous at holding up the ball and giving it straight to Rooney who was marauding in the hole and causing all sorts of problems.

It might look crap, but that doesn't mean it'll play crap.

You germans should knows about this anyway. It's been a long time since you've fielded a side which blew anyone's socks off after reading the team sheet Ale
    Allez les rouges
    Allez les rouges

Post by Allez les rouges Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

I'm not on the windup Bernd. When I say "the last chance" I mean last chance to properly try a different option (i.e. with time to spare). Now you may very well be right, and I only get to see England games when there isn't a clash, but I do find it difficult to believe that the averageness of Heskey is something that can't be improved upon. If you reckon you can find three in midfield who can get enough of a hold on the game and two decent wide men then surely it's an option at least worth trying? And for that matter crowbarring Lampard and Gerrard into the same team is something that's still going on and will tomorrow, despite Gerrard's poor form.

If an attacking midfield option of Müller, Kroos, Marin, Özil, Schweinsteiger, Trochowski, Jansen, Hunt, Podolski... doesn't "blow your socks off" I'm not sure what will Wink
    Glenarch of the Glen

Post by Glenarch of the Glen Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 am

Rio England Braptain wrote:

That may be how it works in Lebanon, but here you can give someone money Ale

when TWERP sucks someone off, he does it because he wants to

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:11 am